Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 49 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
pk-robot
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good Morning! I've read all of the posts here about rechargeables (I think) and have some issues I haven't found addressed yet.

I have a 4 camera system a few months old. I purchased these batteries after testing a 4 pack:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BLQQ7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Silver" Tenergy RCR123A 3.V 900mAh

The first set I purchased worked fine, so I bought 12 more. None of the batteries from the second set worked in particular camera. I would get the "empy red" battery cell and after a few minutes, the camera would shut down and indicate the batteries needed changing. These were batteries fresh off my Nitecore basic charger.

I got Arlo involved thinking it was just the camera I was trying them in, but after testing them in the other cameras none worked in those either

I finally got a voltage tester and it showed that the set of 4 that worked all had voltages hovering around 3.6 fully charged. The 12 batteries that don't work show higher votages, 3.8, 3.9 range, even 4. I have no idea why these batteries are showing such different voltages when they are the same model and using the same charger. 

The Energizer and Streamlight non-rechargeable batteries I've had to fall back on show voltages of 3.24 out of the box.

It seems these cameras still have issues with higher voltages. Has anyone found this  to be the case? 

Does anyone know of a LI-ION charger that will "recondition" a battery and charge it to a set voltage? I have not found any.

Thanks,

PK

49 REPLIES 49
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We recently posted an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review the following article:

Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries

Thank you!

JamesC

pk-robot
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac, OP here. I know it's an older thread but...

You indicated you are using Tangsfire Ts 16340 1000mAh 3.7V Li-ion Rechargable battery with PCB

I have tried these with varying degrees of success...I got 4 weeks, then 3, now just 1 week out of a full charge. I'm only testing with one set. Can you tell us what charger you are using? I feel like these dinky no name chargers that came with the various batteries might be part of the problem.

Thanks,

PK

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

With the Tangfire cells I have, I charged with a 'small' portable charger which brings them up to 4.2 v ...  basicly no name chargers received when I purchase other cells off of ebay. It may be your problem, don't know. They work with all of the 3 other cheap cells I purchased too.

But, tho Tangfire cells stated they are 1000mahr, they are not . More realistically about 550mahr.  There is a tread on different batteries below link, and I believe the Nightcore and Eagletecs came out on top.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargable-battery-usage-vs-time-by-type-post-...

The fact that the cells may be slowly decreased life could be a bad cell too, It only takes one cell to pull them all down.  I had one of the other cells go bad after 1 charge cycle..

That's why I state buy from a NAMED/KNOWN brand and the max you'll find in the 123/16340 is about 750mahr.

At this point You may want to try a different type, I think eagle tecs come in at 750mahr ( real rating ) and run about $5 per. ( not $5 for 4 like some of the cheap china cells )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Stealthmode4u
Aspirant
Aspirant

55 days falls way short of their 4-5 months at normal use specs. I would be happy to get just three months. I dont buy the fact a rechargable battery loses it power quicker than a regular non-chargeable pursuant to what I have been told at a reputable battery center.  Its what the cameras draw and report that is the problem, NOT the batteries.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

EVERY battery loses effectiveness at lower temps. Rechargeables are worse than non-rechargeables. It's a fact due to chemistry. A rechargeable stores less energy than a non-rechargeable so it loses effectiveness sooner. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The simple fact is the rechargeable battery DOES NOT lose it's power quicker than a regular non-rechargeable battery....

The rechargeable battery HAS LESS power to supply than the regular battery.

The highest rated ( real rating ) of a recharable battery is at most HALF of a regular OEM cell.... while the 'regular non rechargable cell' is rated at a true 1500 mahr, while the BEST rechargeable on the market is on 750 mahr ( most average at about 600 ).

The main reason is 2 fold  1) they are different chemistries 2)you can't fit more power in a li-ion cell than 750 for that size package

AcidHawk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Buying 3.0V RCR123 would be useless. These 3.0V rechargeable (even at full charge) will show low batt in ember or red after plugging in.

Using 3.7V RCR123 rechargeable however works well. It does not last as long as those expensive job rechargeable a but its good enough for me to recharge them.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

AcidHawk wrote:
Buying 3.0V RCR123 would be useless. These 3.0V rechargeable (even at full charge) will show low batt in ember or red after plugging in.

Using 3.7V RCR123 rechargeable however works well. It does not last as long as those expensive job rechargeable a but its good enough for me to recharge them.

Yes.... way back in the beginning, the battery algorithm was optimized to work with the OEM and 3.7v li-ions. ( so don't use 3.0v or lifepo type cells )

The difference between the high end rechargeables and the cheap china branded cells was about 15-20 days on avg.  China cells worked 30-38 days and th high end brands made it to about 50 - 60+ days ( spec use )

But, don;t forget, the cheaper cells lack a PCB to prevent over charging/drain.... there was one Arlo that melted - almost possible fire.

DO NOT use a non protected rechargable ( unless outside where it can only damage the camera )

chenyifu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Works great the moment I replaced the batteries.  The blue light started flashing before I sync it to the base and immediately shoots clear, HD pictures.  Don't know how long the batteries will last, but works great for now.

chenyifu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Referring to my earlier Post, I bought GTF 2500mAh TR16340 3.7v Li-ion rechargeable batteries.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Those are basically garbage. I bought a few similar sets. 1) they have no protection built-in and have been known to damage cameras and 2) they simply don't have that capacity. 700-ish mAH is the best you can get. While they may work fine for the moment you will be changing them more frequently and you may end up with useless cameras.
Korey1410
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have had Arlo cameras for two years now
Change batteries out every month in some locations around my home
Herd arlo came out with a solution in partnership with Tenergy
Purchased four then eight batteries and charging station
None of the batteries will charge goes from steady red light to green in seconds
Tried everything what am I doing wrong
Korey1410
Aspirant
Aspirant
They don't tell you the charging station is for 3.7 rechargeable
Very misleading will not buy again
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Don't understand your problem.  The Arlo uses the (Tenergy) 3.7 volt rechargeables, not 3.0 volt  which are also RCR123A.

Korey1410
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchase everything on Amazon and have always used the same 3.0 or 3.7 volt batteries they both work
I ordered the charging station with batteries and they all came 3.7 when I reordered the last batch was 3.0 but it never specified with the charging station that it only took 3.7
Hopefully they just send me the right ones after noticing I have purchased probably over 200 in batteries over the years
Idk just frustrated now I have to go weeks with out working cameras
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Not my experience.  I accidentally ordered the Tenergy 3.0 with 3.0 charger and found they lasted about 30 min in the Arlo cam whereas the 3.7 last weeks (I'm a heavy user).  So find your comment that 3.0 and 3.7 work equally well to not be my experience.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Korey1410 wrote:
I purchase everything on Amazon and have always used the same 3.0 or 3.7 volt batteries they both work
I ordered the charging station with batteries and they all came 3.7 when I reordered the last batch was 3.0 but it never specified with the charging station that it only took 3.7
Hopefully they just send me the right ones after noticing I have purchased probably over 200 in batteries over the years
Idk just frustrated now I have to go weeks with out working cameras

Which 3.0v batteries? Rechargeables or non?  Brand? When you ordered the charger and batteries, exactly what did you order?  Give us links so we can see.  If the batteries and charger are the correct ones, it's a painless process.  If not, all bets are off.

Bkbruce
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi gurus,

I got the Tenergy (green I think).  Charged them.  Tried syncing them.  Get the rapid blue blinking light, even the solid green camera light on the base station but still reflecting Cramera offline.  Same situation for 2 cameras.  So I removed devices and tried to install them again.  Same thing, rapid blue lights, appears to sync, but the app seems to have no idea and still doesn't recognize any cameras now.  are the batteries shoddy if they can achieve the rapid blue blinking?

manfredz
Hero
Hero

the Tenergy rechargeable 3.7V I got are silver colored and work fine.

First I ordered wrong ones, 3.0V which are silver colored and they only work for minutes

Don't think I've seen Tenergy green ones advertised.  What voltage do they have printed on them?

manfredz
Hero
Hero

think i found the ones you got, silver with green writing?   If so they're 3.0 volt, so wrong ones, you need the gold colored 3.7v

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The batteries should be marked as to the voltage.  You can also use a voltmeter to check the voltage - the proper (3.7v) ones will read about 4.15-4.2v when fully charged.

Bkbruce
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you I misremembered.  I was looking at the Tenergy but then went with one that had a charging station.  I'm not sure the brand, but they are identified in the link below.  The voltage is 3.7.  Another purchase of those batteries commented he had used them in Arlo.

The odd thing to me is that the camera is able to blink slolwy blue when syncing, then rapidly as though a sync is happening.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8PCS-CR123A-123A-CR123-16340-2000Mah-Rechargeable-Battery-BTY-Black-UL-Charg...

manfredz
Hero
Hero

2000mah is phoney, highest you\ll really get is 750, most will say 650.

link doesnt say if these are 3.0 or 3.7V

Bkbruce
Aspirant
Aspirant

the batteries say 3.7, i will test with a voltage meter

but would or could they get the blinking blue light and still be a battery problem?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Even the cheesey batteries will give you proper camera operation, you're just risking camera meltdowns or fires due to lack of protection. I woul reset the system by removing all devices in Settings, My Devices and use the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber. Start fresh and use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to add the base and sync the cameras. Be sure to only briefly press the sync button on the base - don't hold it.