Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
AK_BR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since April 12, my cameras stoped recording and livestreaming. Keeps trying to connect but times out and gives the message: “the device failed to connect. Please try again later”.
I restarted the base station, but did not work. The only way I can see live is through the device utilities camera positioning. Please need help, as I am overseas and cannot fly back home due to covid 19 restrictions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Woodself wrote:

It seems to me that if my free trial ended this would explain why I cannot view video. 

Check your subscription via the web client (my.arlo.com).  If you do still have the trial, then click on "manage cameras", and make sure your cameras are all in the plan.  There was a bug that removed them for a bunch of users not long ago.

If they aren't in the plan, you should be able to move them back easily.  

If you somehow lost the subscription or can't get the cameras back into the plan, then contact support: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Drew1689
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you mind sharing what you have tried so far? Have you "Removed" the camera and re-added it back?

AK_BR
Aspirant
Aspirant
Unfortunately I am overseas unable to go back home. So it is impossible to remove and add the cameras. I restarted the base station, remove all activities zones, restarted the internet. Thats what I could do thousands miles away...
Drew1689
Aspirant
Aspirant

My apology. I misunderstood your first post. It did say that. 

I assume this is an outside camera. Is there anyone (a friend) who could confirm it is there? 

Not sure there is anything else. I assume you attempted toggling off the device then back on?

Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 7.14.22 PM.png

AK_BR
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried turn off and turn on cameras. Still not recording. The camera detecta movement and take a picture not record video. The strange thing is that when I go to device utilities, camera positioning, I can see the live video. Maybe is a hardware problem with the base station.
Woodself
Tutor
Tutor

I am having exactly the same problems you mention.  They started about 4/12/2020 which is when yours started.  Makes me wonder if it is a software issue.

marctrout
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue for me.  All cameras quit live recording the second week of April.  No live stream, no video saved to library.  All other functions work fine.  Seems like an Arlo software firmware issue.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey AK_BR, Woodself, and marctrout,

What phone device do you have? Is this happening on cellular data and/or WiFi? Is this happening also on the web client on your computer?

marctrout
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an iphone X.  Happens both cellular and Wifi.  Also happens on computer.  Live stream and library video clips seem to be the only functions not working.

AK_BR
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have Iphone 8 plus and this issue happens on app and computer... I need to have live recording, as I cannot go home as I am grounded overseas...
Woodself
Tutor
Tutor

I have an iPhone 11. It is happening on both Wi-Fi and cellular on my phone. It is also happening on my laptop.  

marctrout
Aspirant
Aspirant

sounds like a systemic issue with Arlo firmware.  Any luck with their hotline?

Woodself
Tutor
Tutor

I have a new idea about what is causing this problem.  This morning when I tried to view video of a new motion alert, I got this screen on my iphone 11: "Cloud storage keeps all your clips secure.  Activate Arlo Smart subscription today and watch motion video clips anytime anywhere at your fingertips.  Learn More."  When I clicked learn more it took me to an arlo page offering me a subscription.  It seems to me that if my free trial ended this would explain why I cannot view video. 

HOWEVER I purchased my Arlo Ultra 4K UHD wire free security system- 3 camera kit  SKU VMS5340-100NAS on September 9, 2019 and understood I had a one year frre Arlo Smart trial so I should still be getting video.  

AK_BR
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a monthly subscription for more than a year. They charge me every month... I am stuck overseas, can anyboy try to call them? looks like Arlo messed up...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Woodself wrote:

It seems to me that if my free trial ended this would explain why I cannot view video. 

Check your subscription via the web client (my.arlo.com).  If you do still have the trial, then click on "manage cameras", and make sure your cameras are all in the plan.  There was a bug that removed them for a bunch of users not long ago.

If they aren't in the plan, you should be able to move them back easily.  

If you somehow lost the subscription or can't get the cameras back into the plan, then contact support: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

marctrout
Aspirant
Aspirant

You are correct.  Need to make sure your cameras are under a plan.  I think the new update moved cameras out.  If you drag them back, all works fine

AK_BR
Aspirant
Aspirant

It worked. thanks a lot. all cameras were out! put back and all is working again

kevink808
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this exact same issue as the others here described, and mine also started on April 12.  I have 9 cameras.  5 Pro 2's and 4 original Arlos.  I was on an annual subscription for the 30 day recording.  It seems to me that Netgear changed their plan structure, booted those of us under the old plan off without telling us, and now since's Netgear Arlo's website is complete garbage I cannot seem to access the Subscription page without a picture of it loading and then throwing an error that "the website is having issues right now".  Nice.

Nice. When can I expect to add my cameras back to my plan? Will the website ever properly function again???

kevink808
Aspirant
Aspirant

Folks, I just got off the phone with tech support and after the tech let me go into a lengthy explanation of my issues, including the fact that many of us are experiencing the exact same issues starting on the exact same day 4/12/20, he proceeds to tell me that:

"Due to COVID-19 and everyone working from home, they are short-staffing and engineers are working on the problem and hope to have it fixed soon."

I asked, so Netgear Arlo is aware of the problem and this is affecting a wide number of users?

"Yes, we are aware of it."

Unbelievable.  No wait, it's completely believable coming from Netgear.  In sum: NETGEAR ARLO IS AWARE OF THE PROBLEM AND HAS NOT COMMUNICATED THIS TO ITS USERS.  What a bunch of amateurs.  They must hate their customer service and tech support departments.  

I told the tech support rep that I cannot access the subscription page to add my cameras because the website throws an error, as does the app.  Yeah, he said that's broke too, but they're working on it.

So the last thing he told me is that if you remove the cams and Add Device again to bring them back in, that should allow live video feeds from your main dashboard again.  I'm at work but I'll try this when I get home.

kevink808
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, so aside from having to reconnect every camera to a base station, I can confirm that solution works.  Now if only Netgear would communicate with its customers when there is a problem!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kevink808 wrote:

...  Now if only Netgear ... 

Just adding an FYI.  You've called out Netgear several times.  Arlo hasn't been part of Netgear for quite a while now (getting close to 2 years).

Note that when you use your browser, you should be navigating to my.arlo.com.