Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
rhanson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get a low battery warning when using fully charged RCR123 (rechargable) batteries. CR123 batteries show 3 volts, RCR123 batteries show 4+ volts. What is happening? Is it safe to use the RCR123 batteries?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, it is safe to use rechargable batteries in the Arlo cameras.

Keep in mind that the battery meter may not be accurate as the voltages sometimes are out side of the spec the camera expects to see.

Ive been running 16340 / 123 cells that are 3.7v ( about 4.2+ off charge ) and when placed in camera, the battery meter shows full red/dead... this said, the camera has been running for 2 weeks now.

One thing I will say is test your normal use with rechargables to determine how long they last... use them accordingly so they don't go dead without warning.

Remember, you will tend to play/use your camera heavy in the first month or so... later prob less, and they will last longer with use within spec called average by Netgear.

try and read this thread;  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Trouble-using-rechargable-batteries/m-p/1046#M326

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, it is safe to use rechargable batteries in the Arlo cameras.

Keep in mind that the battery meter may not be accurate as the voltages sometimes are out side of the spec the camera expects to see.

Ive been running 16340 / 123 cells that are 3.7v ( about 4.2+ off charge ) and when placed in camera, the battery meter shows full red/dead... this said, the camera has been running for 2 weeks now.

One thing I will say is test your normal use with rechargables to determine how long they last... use them accordingly so they don't go dead without warning.

Remember, you will tend to play/use your camera heavy in the first month or so... later prob less, and they will last longer with use within spec called average by Netgear.

try and read this thread;  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Trouble-using-rechargable-batteries/m-p/1046#M326

Faengelm
Tutor
Tutor
I noticed that you are using the 3.7v rechargeable batteries. Have you tried the 3.0v rechargeable batteries?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
No, as of this time I haven't tried the 3v rechargeable cells. The only reason is the 3.7v cells had a much better mahr rating then the 3s.
Higher mahr rate means longer usage time.

Btw... 3 weeks plus and still running strong
Faengelm
Tutor
Tutor
I agree that the 3.7v have higher capacity. I have tried both the 3.7 and 3.2v batteries and found that the 3.7v shows up as a red dead battery on the indicator and the 3.2v is a red battery with one bar
I'm surprised that netgear doesnt state if both batteries are acceptable
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, they have stated both the 3v and 3.7v cells are within the operating specs of the camera hardware.

Translation = they will not damage the camera

But they also stated the battery meter will not be accurate at this time.

see;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Installation/Can-I-use-rechargeable-batteries-with-the-Arlo-Cameras...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Trouble-using-rechargable-batteries/td-p/1046

jaybe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm looking into recharagables for my Arlo system. Will these work? 

http://www.amazon.com/JustDo%C2%AE-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Pointer-Battery/dp/B00V7SX08S/ref=sr_1_9?...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I replied in your other message (in Installation?).  Basically, I'd recommend others such as TangsFire 1000mAH or EagleTac.  See:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

Check the messages at the end for most current info.

Soni
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I have tried both 3.0V and 3.7V batteries and both sets fully charged. My Arlo was working well then ran out of battery charge. Upon returning from holiday I find that it wont change low battery message now fresh batteries are inserted. It wont work now. I tried re sync it and I get blinking blue light then it goes to orange light showing a battery needs replacing message. No activity on my camera now. Can someone please advise me? Thank you.
TLWASHB01
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same problem. Changed to new store purchased batteries on 3 cameras today. 1 is working, other 2 still show zero battery power
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Soni wrote:
Hi, I have tried both 3.0V and 3.7V batteries and both sets fully charged. My Arlo was working well then ran out of battery charge. Upon returning from holiday I find that it wont change low battery message now fresh batteries are inserted. It wont work now. I tried re sync it and I get blinking blue light then it goes to orange light showing a battery needs replacing message. No activity on my camera now. Can someone please advise me? Thank you.

First you were replying to a thread a yr old....

Second, take the camera and open the battery door... Make sure the batteries are full charge, then close the door...

Next go into  Settings, pick the camera and then REMOVE DEVICE.

Reboot the base via the power button, wait till it comes back online

Bring back the camera as new...new device