Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Positioning Mode different picture than Pan and Zoom?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
matt5931
Guide
Guide

Hello, I am having incredible difficulty setting up my Arlo cameras to capture motion.  I have one camera that is pointed towards my front yard and that captures a small amount of the street in front.  The camera will pick up a small instance of a car, but won't catch anyone walking along the path that's right in front of it. 

I've tried re-positioning it numerous times and now I have a weird phenomeon that the video feed I see when I do live feed and the picture I used in the positioning mode is different (more narrow) than when I just go to Video Settings and look at the Pan and Zoom function.

Can someone please help me understand what's going on?  I used the position mode to set up the camera as is indicated I should do.

Thank you!

Matt

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, I 'll start off by saying I never use the test/position mode to set up the cameras... I just set them up and used regular detection-record.

The PIR device that detects motion covers the entire Field of view ( even if you crop the picture )... also the PIR is more sensitive on the edges and detects better when motion is accross the view as opposed to straight on.

So as you found, placement is critic to a good record response, and it will take a few trys to get it to work well .

PS... don't try to cover to much area as the camera is sensitive to people out to a max of only 20ft

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
matt5931
Guide
Guide

Thanks Tom, below is a picture of my current feed from the Pan and Zoom feature.  The camera will pick up cars moving in that top right or top left corner but won't get a human being walking on the path... any help?

Arlo.PNG

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

matt5931 wrote:

Thanks Tom, below is a picture of my current feed from the Pan and Zoom feature.  The camera will pick up cars moving in that top right or top left corner but won't get a human being walking on the path... any help?

Arlo.PNG

Yes... as mentioned the PIR device seems to be much more sensesitive on the edges ( even tho you cropped it )... Cars are big reflectors of IR which is what it picks up.

I would if possible lower the camera and also angle down a bit to eliminate the roadway problem AND then crop as needed... other than that you can adjust the sense level slowly up till you get  a response you want ...mind that you get a startup lag with Arlo ( low 2 sec to high about 10 ) that can cause issues in capture... so adjust time accordingly

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You might want to consider mounting the camera on the tree instead.
matt5931
Guide
Guide

Unfortunately the tree won't work as the camera would then be easily within arm's reach.  I fail to grasp how it doesn't capture a human walking along the path?  It's motion across the face of the camera and is only about 10 feet away?

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As a test, try aiming the camera higher, so that the bottom of the camera is closer to the side walk, you will of course lose some view of that garden area but try it as a test to see if motion is picked up. I've found aiming my camera higher will help with detection more towards the top of my picture, of course doing this, you will get more sky.

matt5931
Guide
Guide

I've tried moving numerous times now and still the camera basically won't pick up anything.  This is the current shot that it has:Arlo.PNGAny last help before I return these cameras that simply don't work?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

matt5931,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link..

JamesC