Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Poor Performance From Original Arlo System (declines more everyday)

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DJLJr
Initiate
Initiate

I'm not certain on the model information, but I have the original Arlo Wireless Camera System. 5 Cameras and Base. I posted on the main Netgear Community Page, and must have been censored. My post and 1 comment were deleted probably by a too tightly wound moderator. I will try to be more civil and not so wound up. I have about $700 into this "security" system. Could somebody tell me why with every passing day (and firmware update) the performance of my system deteriorates? Is it because I have no paid subscription (free service for five cameras (came with system purchase))? Is it because the original products were inferior to begin with (funny how the "Pro" cameras with sound were released very shortly after my purchase), and now cannot handle system upgrades? I have the same 5 cameras I started with, and they are all mounted in the original locations. The system worked perfect for the first 6 months. Nothing has changed. Now, after Arlo/Netgear has produced more products with upgrade after upgrade (you would have to revamp your system at $700 plus every 6 months to keep up), and is now offering a paid subscription for enhanced features (more accurate motion sensitivity, etc...), and have had their IPO as a separate company from the Netgear parent company, my system is basically useless. My cameras eat batteries at an alarming rate, and the motion sensors are triggered by every shadow movement and sunlight burst. All cameras. Even the one inside my garage. Could somebody with a brain, and maybe a little more background with these systems (not somebody with printed index card answers) come on here and address these issues? I am tired of reading post after post about how the cameras should be moved, the motion sensitivity should be turned up or down, or the screenshot should be compressed. Again, I have had this system for a couple of years now, and nothing has changed except for firmware for the base and the cameras. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this lack of respect from Arlo is that they need people like me with original systems to throw them in the trash, drink some more of the Arlo Kool-aid and buy new, fancier products with paid subscriptions for Arlo services. I can almost guarantee that if I purchased a monthly subscription for the enhanced features, all of my problems would miraculously go away. I feel let down by a company that has traditionally produced superb products and have always stood behind them. I understand that time marches on, and firmware/software support cannot be made available for all systems forever (Microsoft doesn't update or support Windows ME any more. Apple doesn't offer updates for 5 series products anymore), but this system is less than three years old, and appears to have been replaced twice over already with new products (Arlo Pro and now Pro 2).

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DJLJr,

You should not have a different or worse experience between the Basic or a Paid subscription plans. Depending on what issues specifically you are experiencing, the issues could be due to environmental conditions or hardware failure, etc.

Issues with motion sensitivity often times are due to the camera placement, adjusting the motion detection sensitivity in the rules often resolves issues with false detection like you describe above.

If you've already tried adjusting sensitivity/camera placement, you might try contacting the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

DJLJr
Initiate
Initiate
JamesC,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond, however that is just the reply/response I was not looking for. The system worked perfectly for 6 months after initial purchase with all the same settings, and all the same locations as it has now. Nothing has changed on my end of the system, however there have been numerous changes on Arlo’s end of the system. I agree. There should be no difference between a basic subscription and a paid subscription, however anybody who’s not living in the middle of the woods, off the grid, knows that is not how the world, especially the business world, works. I will contact the Arlo Support Team, but I don’t feel it will do any good.