Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ThinkDifferent
Guide
Guide

Library thumbnailLibrary thumbnailImage quality when playedImage quality when played

Hi. Does anyone know why this happens? My cameras only recently went bonkers. About half of all library records play with the image partially or completely covered with green screen, and appearing as smeared thumbnails. The problem affects both of my cameras pointed towards my entryway so I’m inclined to think it’s a network/software problem. Solutions welcome 🙂

127 REPLIES 127
Sivaprakashsale
Initiate
Initiate

I am also getting the same issue. Tried all reset, etc - nothing works

kjh418
Initiate
Initiate

Was a solution to this problem ever shared?  We've had our Arlo cameras for about 5 years and have NEVER had a problem until now with the pixelated thumbnails and green screen.  Arlo Customer Service just wants money to resolve the problem, but won't guarantee they can fix it.  I've read thru the entire thread, but there doesn't seem to be a fix.  Appears as though this began happening after the latest firmware upgrade, but there isn't a way to go backwards on the upgrade.

shackadeli
Tutor
Tutor

In my case, I physically moved my base station closer to the camera that was exhibiting the issue and it was resolved. Perhaps a firmware update mucked with the range of the system, but regardless, reducing the distance and obstacles between the base station and my camera was the solution.

Stingray76
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am unable to see the solution to smeared line as illustrated and also for pixelated images.  Could anyone help?

This happens with all 3 of my cameras and they are kept well-charged and close to the base station.

Thank you

shackadeli
Tutor
Tutor

I have responded to a couple of people in the thread that the solution, for me anyway, was to move the base station closer to the camera having the issues. For me, it appears to be a signal strength problem based on where I originally had the base station in relation to the camera. Move your base station physically closer to the camera and/or eliminate walls or other sources of interference between your camera and base station and you'll likely see improvement.

dB20
Star
Star
I don’t believe this is a general solution. I’ve had my system for years with the cameras in the same spots that whole time some of which are very close to the base station showing maximum signal strength. Something changed earlier this year for many customers at approximately the same time. That can’t be a coincidence. I’m glad yours have improved. I’ve noticed also that the frequency of distortion has gone way down of late and I haven’t changed a thing.
shackadeli
Tutor
Tutor

Mine operated for years in the same locations with no issues as well. I don't doubt that something changed software-wise to perhaps degrade the range of these, but moving my basestation about 20 feet closer in the house and with a lot less computer gear surrounding it, and with a single wall between it and the camera worked to resolve the issue for me in the short term until the software issue is addressed long term.

Tokra_ac
Guide
Guide
I don’t think this is quite right. The videos are fine and this issue only started appearing fairly recently. I never had this issue until recently. I think the issue is on the arlo cloud processing end
Tokra_ac
Guide
Guide
I’m having the same issue. Why is this marked as solved? What the solution apart from it being everyone’s fault and not an arlo problem?
Estanger
Star
Star

Well I have been going back and forth with arlo for the last 6 or more months.  Did everything they said and was being quite nice about the whole and even offering suggestions.  They finally closed the case and suggested I purchase and additional plan which might remedy the problem.  Below is the letter they sent

Good day!

Thank you for your response. We sincerely apologize if we were unable to respond to your email right away.

As we continue to improve the Arlo platform, we are implementing an adjustment to our video compression to optimize the size of Arlo Pro and Pro 2 video transmission. This affects cameras not connected to Arlo Smart. To ensure the best video quality, we recommended to connect your cameras to Arlo Smart.

To check the details of Arlo Smart plan, visit this link: https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

To subscribe to an Arlo smart plan, follow the steps in this link: https://kb.arlo.com/000056588/How-do-I-subscribe-to-Arlo-Smart

We will now close this case. Once this case is close, you will receive a survey. It would really help us here at Arlo to improve our services to our valued customers. If in case you need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us back and we will be more than happy to help you.

For other support options please visit: http://www.arlo.com/en-US/support/contact.aspx or use the Arlo app Help Center.

It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for choosing Arlo!

+++

dcfox1
Master
Master

I would think it would be the other way around. Local storage not being compressed without  being processed in the servers for smart. But I am not an engineer. 

Estanger
Star
Star

You are correct.  the less buffering or filtering you have gives you better retention of the signal.  See, you are an Engineer.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue with Gray screen, solid green, or heavy pixelation on thumbnails in PN and Library recordings. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

blindkarma
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue with green screen appearing on 1/2 to 2/3 of the live image on Echo Show 5 and Echo Show 8. It started on one camera, but now occurs on two. It does not occur when viewing the live image on the iPhone App, so it is not data loss from the camera to the base, but more likely data loss in the transmission from the base for viewing. Is there a support ticket issued on this, and will we be notified when there is a fix?

blindkarma
Guide
Guide

Hope this is not true. The letter to Estanger would mean they are intentionally phasing out Arlo Pro 2 usage without a paid plan. In other words, making the original local non-subscription usage obsolete.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

Are you still experiencing any issues related to this thread?

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Mine has been good lately
blindkarma
Guide
Guide

I am still experiencing this problem when the live image is displayed on the Echo Show 5 and Echo Show 8. It occurs on all five cameras. The Echo Show 5 is located on the same floor as the base station and 20 feet away in a different room. The Echo Show 8 is located one floor above the base station and directly above it. This started only in the last couple of months and I have not changed my router or WiFi in any way. I have also restarted the base station with no difference.

Tokra_ac
Guide
Guide
I haven’t seen this problem for a while now. Looks good!
ant
Mentor
Mentor

I noticed I don't get green artifacts in my decade old, updated 64-bit W7 HPE PC's video players (VLC & MPC-HC). It just show pixelations. Arlo needs to improve their video playbacks in iOS.

chasep
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm still having this problem, and I am an Arlo Smart subscriber. Firmware version is 1.16.3.4 

It seems to only occur on 1 of 4 cameras. Interestingly, in the attached photo, you can make out a cat and 2 chickens within the smearing, but when playback starts it is solid green. 

typemgtst
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. Not good at all. 1 of 4 cameras doing it.
RicoP
Guide
Guide
Thought it was corrected on last update but came back again over the weekend
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @typemgtst

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest any prior methods you have previously performed.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @RicoP

Does this issue occur on all of your cameras? Do you happen to have a screenshot you can provide?