Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ThinkDifferent
Guide
Guide

Library thumbnailLibrary thumbnailImage quality when playedImage quality when played

Hi. Does anyone know why this happens? My cameras only recently went bonkers. About half of all library records play with the image partially or completely covered with green screen, and appearing as smeared thumbnails. The problem affects both of my cameras pointed towards my entryway so I’m inclined to think it’s a network/software problem. Solutions welcome 🙂

127 REPLIES 127
Fishy_89
Tutor
Tutor

Base- VMB4000r3

Firmware - 1.16.2.4_3505_f4757f1

Cameras x3- Arlo Pro 2 

Firmware- 1.125.14.0_34_1189

Literally was not working at all for around 5 weeks. All i could see was distorted recordings. Had multiple attempts to fix from Alro help team with different troubleshooting and no results.
Then i get an email stating there has been a firmware update and i should remove the base and re add base and cameras and ensure firmware is updated.

I did all of that and didn't need to update as it seemed to do it itself before i removed and reset.
Sorry i cant be much more help!

I honestly think Alro are doing this on purpose to get people to go for the new pro 3 cameras which requires a subscription service.. Only seems to be this issue on Arlo Pro 2 cameras from what i have seen! When people make a scene and post on here, facebook page and email customer service like i did multiple times then we get a result. yet no one else seems to have theirs fixed... seems a little too suspicious if you ask me.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

I just emailed askarlo@arlo.com with my screen (shot/capture)s and a cropped MP4 video recording from this morning PDT. I hope they are useful and can fix this issue right away.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@Fishy_89 wrote:

Seems like the issue has been fixed from my end.

Had the customer service team email me saying that the firmware has been updated and to make sure my app is up to date.

No more issues since then!

Are you sure? I still see it once in a while.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@ant

I received them, thank you

FabQuadrozzi87
Guide
Guide

Any danger of coming up with a solution? Every video is green, grainy or pixelated.

I get better picture quality on my old Nokia.

Ekusmerz
Guide
Guide
You better fix mine too Arlo!!!!!!!
Ekusmerz
Guide
Guide
This is bull**bleep**
Ekusmerz
Guide
Guide
Live and recorded. Yes I’ve done all the recommended troubleshooting so don’t start there
XBaza
Initiate
Initiate

I got the Arlo Pro 3 and I have got the same problem. Seems like this is a common issue, shame arlo hasnt done anything to fix it yet

Borgy
Guide
Guide
Happy to take your money though ain't they!
ant
Mentor
Mentor

@ShayneS wrote:

@ant

I received them, thank you

You're welcome. Do you need more since I still see them?

Borgy
Guide
Guide
Here's the screen shot
Borgy
Guide
Guide
It won't let me post the video
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Borgy wrote:
It won't let me post the video

The simplest way is to post a link to the video.

You can share from the Arlo library (which only lasts for 24 hours), or put the video into cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc) and post the link for that.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am pretty sure that the model of camera is not at fault. Just for my own entertainment I started reading through the Pro 3 forums (I have the Pro 2 model)

and I am seeing all the same problems there as I have on my cameras.

I think the hardware is probably all fine and it’s the software end of things where Arlo is deep in over their heads! It is systemic. (Or the Pro 2 and 3 are the same with just different price tags!)

This further suggests to me that when Arlo asks me to do the “Arlo Dance”, remove, re pair, take out battery, replace battery, reboot base, etc, etc., that none of that matters. It just makes it look like they are trying to help.

The problem is in their software and they (Arlo) need to look at hiring a much better class of technical staff. Until they do, get comfortable with the poor service as it is here to stay.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Reallyconfused  I have the pro3 and have not had any of the problems described in this thread. There have been problems with Activity Zones in all cams but that has been fixed. That may be what you were seeing in those threads. 

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
No, I’m sure I saw a variety of issues with the 3’s.
And which activity zones are “fixed”? Mine sure aren’t.
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yup. Just checked again. By the thread titles I see all the same problems with the 3’s as I have with my 2’s.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Reallyconfused  What thread in Pro 3 forum do you see about 'live steam has green screen" that this thread it titled? 

tboro
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue with the vertical lines. I've also had issues with my cameras not recording and also had issues with cameras recording, but not saving. Im so fed up with this system. I spend more time making sure they work or attempting to get them to function. I would never recommend these cameras!
Borgy
Guide
Guide
Mine even looks like this in my library!
dece870717
Aspirant
Aspirant

Baby Arlo Camera
Firmware - 1.9.13.0_815
Hardware - 6
OS - Android (Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ and LG G8X ThinQ) and Windows 10
Environment - Bedroom upstairs, cameras connected to my ASUS RT-AX88U AX6000 router on the first floor, connected to 5GHz band, have good signal strength.
-------

I would have to agree that it isn't the model of the camera, I am experiencing similar issues with our Baby Arlo camera. My wife and I have twins (2 years 3 months old now) and so we have 2 of those cameras, one for each of their rooms. We initially bought just one, and that one had the latest firmware already pre-programmed into it, it has never had those green/purple coloring banding issues, but a few months later we bought another Baby Arlo to replace one of those standard low resolution monitor synced/locked cameras, now that newer Baby Arlo camera did need to have a firmware update done, sure enough, that camera then started to exhibit horizontal green/purple bands jumping all over the picture, it happens only time to time.

This may have just been a fluke, but I was just experiencing those colored bands recently, I initially tried changing video settings to no avail, so then I tried changing a setting that most of us probably wouldn't think to, I turned off that camera's microphone and speaker, it seemed to have fixed the issue (at least for now). I then turned those audio options back on, and so far the problem hasn't returned in the past few minutes. It could have just been a fluke/coincidence that the banding just happened to stop then, so I'm wondering if others have tried this same thing with success.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
It is hit and miss for sure. Sometimes not weeks. Like I wrote somewhere before, I think this is what we have to live with. I can’t see things getting any better as the threads going back a couple of years show all the same issues on and off.
yonker
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have same problem with different cameras at different times. Mostly when I switch to live feed.

shackadeli
Tutor
Tutor

I had the same problem. I ended up relocating my base station closer to the camera that was having the issue and all was well.