Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ThinkDifferent
Guide
Guide

Library thumbnailLibrary thumbnailImage quality when playedImage quality when played

Hi. Does anyone know why this happens? My cameras only recently went bonkers. About half of all library records play with the image partially or completely covered with green screen, and appearing as smeared thumbnails. The problem affects both of my cameras pointed towards my entryway so I’m inclined to think it’s a network/software problem. Solutions welcome 🙂

127 REPLIES 127
KRav92
Aspirant
Aspirant
How's the connection of the camera to the Base Station however? I'm pretty sure the internet connection doesn't matter between those two points. I'm getting a signal strength fluctuating between full and 2/3
gaw370
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not the internet connection its the wifi connection speed which im guessing given i can connect under the camera at these speeds and the base station is in the server rack with the wifi module then the camera should also have a strong signal - i too am between full and 2/3.

i have 5 cameras and only 1 is doing this  and this is only since upgraded and reconnected. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gaw370 wrote:

I know its not the wifi range / coverage as i get 140Mb/s to the area where the camera is 

That's not directly relevant, since the camera isn't using your home wifi.

One practical thing you could try is swapping two cameras, and see if the problem moves with the camera or stays with the location.

gaw370
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB

I stand corrected ..

I have three camera equal distance from base station all
Showing a min of 2/3 and only one Has been having this issue since the last update

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@dB20

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. Arlo Tech Support

Mikeday1uk
Tutor
Tutor
Yes and no - I tried all the suggestions - disconnected and reconnected the cameras, swapped Wi-Fi, plugged each one into the base station to refresh firmware and still had the issue. Then a week later it suddenly cleared up - seems to be working fine now. Assume there was a firmware update or similar that either fixed it or inadvertently removed the problem. Will keep an eye on it now though. Arlo said they had run out of ideas and it was probably a hardware fault but that I was out of warranty
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That’s odd. I too, have seen this just today. First time since I bought the stuff last July. Add something else to the Arlo complaint list.

Javier24
Aspirant
Aspirant
I too am having the same issue as of today which brought me to this group discussion. I purchased another Arlo base station to help my other base station and see if that’s the problem. 3 out of 6 cameras are giving me an issue.
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Interesting. Could this be a totally new thing with these cameras?
gaw370
Aspirant
Aspirant
Certainly not a great new feature I had someone on my porch yesterday and the camera was useless. Trying to see who it was all i got was vertices lines
DLWM
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the same issues on 3 of my 4 cameras. It started a few weeks ago with 1 and today 2 more are doing the same thing.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello community,

@ThinkDifferent Thank you for the SS

May I ask if it's possible to provide a screenshot of this green/pixelated image you all are experiencing?

Thank you!

ThinkDifferent
Guide
Guide

For some reason I can only attach 1 image so I attached a screenshot of the library thumbnails to illustrate the problem. I would have also wanted to include captures of the playback, where the screen goes green or black depending on how much of the thumbnail is distorted. Fully distorted thumbnail = black screen playback. Partially distorted thumbnail = green screen playback where the image is dIstorted in the thumbnail.

ThinkDifferent
Guide
Guide

Correction: Your system won’t allow me to attach any images in response to your request. Please see the images at the start of this discussion as those are mine and the problem remains the same. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@ThinkDifferent

Thank you for the update. I have the images from your first post. I sent you a PM as well.

Estanger
Star
Star

Photos attached

HW Version H7
Serial Number 48B45C7R453EB
Firmware 1.4.293
Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base StationLive DWLive DWRecorded BYRecorded BYRecorded MBRecorded MBLive DWLive DW
tjex
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here, with both cameras. This is new, and shows in recordings and live feed. Sometimes it will eventually disappear when viewing the feed.
Mikeday1uk
Tutor
Tutor
And now it’s back - after a week or so without any distortion my front camera is absolutely useless again
TheFriendlyUser
Initiate
Initiate
I am having the same problem as well... super bad quality video. 1 or 2 videos good and the next 2 videos, i can't watch or see anything... i see lines, pixels.. this is terrible. I'm starting to regret buying these.
Mikeday1uk
Tutor
Tutor
My only guess is that it is something to do with interference on the Wi-Fi maybe from another device but I have changed the Wi-Fi the cameras used and still had the same problem.
Anyone have any more suggestions??
ThinkDifferent
Guide
Guide

The problem is now less persistent at one of my properties but remains persistent at another. So right now I’m having the cable company look at their network router to see if that is contributing to the data loss, because the cameras function similarly when switched—glitchy at one property, not so at the other.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

One of my cameras is doing this often now. It never happened before, no problem for the year that I’ve had them. Now it’s done this three times in the past couple of weeks.

Any Arlo people out there know what is causing this? We would love some input.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

5C66BA1E-FE10-4E52-841A-4359B6C30824.jpeg

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi StephenB

You suggest it may be a bug. Any idea if it’s being addressed? 

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, I thought so.  No comment