Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ThinkDifferent
Guide
Guide

Library thumbnailLibrary thumbnailImage quality when playedImage quality when played

Hi. Does anyone know why this happens? My cameras only recently went bonkers. About half of all library records play with the image partially or completely covered with green screen, and appearing as smeared thumbnails. The problem affects both of my cameras pointed towards my entryway so I’m inclined to think it’s a network/software problem. Solutions welcome 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ThinkDifferent wrote:

Hi. Does anyone know why this happens? My cameras only recently went bonkers.

Well, it's video corruption due to lost data in the recording.

But that of course doesn't explain why there was loss.  

View solution in original post

127 REPLIES 127
Scott75
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get multi-color vertical lines in most of the images from one camera. It's NOT solar related bcause my camera is pointed north and is under the eves of the house. The other cameras don't exhibit this problem. I have had them about one month. This camera is using battery power much fastr than the others as well.

Any ideas how to fix this or what causes it?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you post a screen shot (or share a recording)?

OSUIndie07
Initiate
Initiate
I’ve been having the same issue a lot lately too with the blurred thumbnail images or the video feed. I’ve also been having blurry and pixelated videos and life feed for a while now also it seems to be hyper sensitive to motion even if I decreased the sensitivity and use motion zones. Really disappointed in a Arlo right now I’m considering returning all of it
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ThinkDifferent wrote:

Hi. Does anyone know why this happens? My cameras only recently went bonkers.

Well, it's video corruption due to lost data in the recording.

But that of course doesn't explain why there was loss.  

ThinkDifferent
Guide
Guide

Ahh, at least I know what the problem is. Half of what’s so difficult about dealing with customer support is not knowing how to describe the problem in tech-speak 🙂

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Same here, and PLEASE don't give me that it's NOT the recent FW  update...

AR155
Tutor
Tutor

I also have the same problem after the ‘urgent firmware update’ - the same image types as displayed above, green screen (sometimes blank), also jittery where the image jumps back or pauses for several frames.  There have been no other changes in setup other than the firmware.  

Steps I have undertaken to troubleshoot include:

* re-started individual cameras

* cycled the video settings in power management

* re-started the base station

* checked for further firmware updates (none)

if there was a way to roll back the firmware update, even on one or two cameras it would be a good test/fix.   Otherwise can Arlo please look into this ASAP.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

Same here, and PLEASE don't give me that it's NOT the recent FW  update...

The general cause is that some the bits in the compressed video stream aren't reaching the storage (whether cloud or local).  Normally the compression of each frame is sending the differences from the previous frame.  If anything is lost for a frame, then that frame can't be decoded.  Because each frame builds on the previous one, the errors propagate and you quickly get a mess.

Possible causes of loss include

• poor connection quality between the camera and the base
  • poor connection quality between the base and the cloud
  • the camera not delivering the full initial I-frame in the video
  • lost data due to other bugs in the camera, base, or cloud.

So firmware issues are certainly a possible cause.  The puzzle for Arlo is to figure out exactly where the loss is happening.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Sounds plausible. My point was that multiple users encounter the same problem after an update. that's obvious who messed it up.

Estanger
Star
Star
Same intermittent problem with smearing but only on one camera which started about a month ago.  No Green Screen.  I thought it was a signal problem but I brought the camera close to the base and it still occurs.

HW Version H7
Serial Number 48B45C7R453EB
Firmware 1.4.293
sancheza
Initiate
Initiate
HW Version H7
Firmware 1.4.293

I too have been seeing these issues much more since a recent firmware update.
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Same here since last week's updates in the original Arlo from 2015. 😞

Hlmckerch289
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same issue. Looking for a solve
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Hlmckerch289

Is it possible for you to provide a screenshot of this issue you are experiencing?

Hlmckerch289
Initiate
Initiate
Photo attached. It’s the video and usually multiple cameras at the same time
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Others and I got those too like in https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Pixelated-thumbnail-Live-stream-has-green-screen/td-p/1769684/jum... forum thread. We noticed it got a lot worst from the last/previous firmware update from a couple weeks ago.

Wireboy
Initiate
Initiate
Why do my cameras show vertical colored lines when connected but no picture as in attachment
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wireboy wrote:
Why do my cameras show vertical colored lines when connected but no picture as in attachment

I'm not seeing the attachment.  

dB20
Star
Star
Same exact thing is happening on all of my cameras (10) and both hubs. Since it happened suddenly across multiple cameras and hubs, I suspect a firmware problem. Did you get your issue resolved?
gaw370
Aspirant
Aspirant

a couple of my cameras have started doing this as well 

have removed them readded them they work ok then it comes back colorcolor

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gaw370 wrote:

a couple of my cameras have started doing this as well 

This is a symptom of a corrupted video stream (either due to a connection issue, or a firmware bug when transmitting an I-frame).

I'm seeing it fairly often in my own cameras, so I am suspecting there's a bug introduced somewhere.

KRav92
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought and installed my cameras today (2 cameras) and I've noticed one of them doing this too.

gaw370
Aspirant
Aspirant

i updated this camera recently was playing up so deleted and readded worked for half a day and then it came back. I know its not the wifi range / coverage as i get 140Mb/s to the area where the camera is 

Heinie
Guide
Guide
Im having the same problem too