Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have 2 cameras. BOTH are outside. I have had the cameras for about a week now. One Camera consistently shows green and works well. The Other will show green then later in the day turn red. I got a message in the "defective" camera saying it is time to change batteries and it was dead. I put new batteries in that camera. I then took the "dead" batteries and put it into my good camera and immediately it showed 2 green bars and worked.
Meanwhile, 12 hours later, in the "defective" camera with NEW batteries, I got an email 20 minutes ago staying that the batteries were at 12% then I check the camera 10 minutes later and it is showing as dead. I can't access that camera. I purposely turned all motion sensor off today. I did view both cameras several times today. My good camera with old batteries are full. My "defective" camera is dead.
The firmware on both are the same. Both cameras were/are outside.
Is there a way to return just one camera?
7 REPLIES 7
Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just put new batteries in the "defective" camera and 10 minutes later a warning that the batteries are tired at 10%. Let's see how long these batteries actually last in the camera.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't help with what'e going on with your cameras, but can say that during beta test I ran a camera VERY heavy in use ( avg 10-15 mins per day) and the batteries last 82 days..... this equals over the the 4-6 month period listed by Netgear.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello Tats,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the batteries. There was a announcment about the low battery reporting issues. 

Announcements

I can confirm, we are currently in the testing phase of a new firmware that is expected to resolve the low battery reporting issue when the camera is exposed to near/below freezing temperatures. We are taking great care in releasing this update to the system to ensure we provide not only a quick fix but rather a fix that is well designed and thoroughly tested.

We plan to post an announcement to the community once the new firmware is available for download. It is also recommended that you enable "Auto Update FW" option under base station settings to ensure the firmware update is downloaded within 24 hours of release.

The Arlo Team

David Simpson

Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice
David, thank you for the response. I have two cameras with the same firmware and it in the same exterior environment. The "defective" camera not only reported low battery with brand new batteries, but on the same day stopped working with a message to change the batteries. Since both have same firmware and both outside, couldn't this confirm that this camera is defective?
David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello Tats,

I understand your concern. While it may seem that your camera is defective it’s only the firmware that needs to be upgraded. The current firmware you have seems to be not reporting correctly on some cameras. What you can do is remove the batteries from the camera reporting the low battery and bring them to room temperature. Once at room temperature place the batteries back inside the camera. The camera should read the batteries as being fully charged or back in the “Green”  indicating batteries are good. I know this is a big inconvenience but this should bring your camera back online. Let me know if this fixed the Low battery problem for now.

The Arlo Team

David 

Arlohome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tats wrote:
I have 2 cameras. BOTH are outside. I have had the cameras for about a week now. One Camera consistently shows green and works well. The Other will show green then later in the day turn red. I got a message in the "defective" camera saying it is time to change batteries and it was dead. I put new batteries in that camera. I then took the "dead" batteries and put it into my good camera and immediately it showed 2 green bars and worked.
Meanwhile, 12 hours later, in the "defective" camera with NEW batteries, I got an email 20 minutes ago staying that the batteries were at 12% then I check the camera 10 minutes later and it is showing as dead. I can't access that camera. I purposely turned all motion sensor off today. I did view both cameras several times today. My good camera with old batteries are full. My "defective" camera is dead.
The firmware on both are the same. Both cameras were/are outside.
Is there a way to return just one camera?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only by creating a trouble ticket and getting support to issue an RMA.