Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Nursing home room monitoring

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
TX_BB
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wife recently moved her 97 yr old mother into a nursing home. She would like to install a camera in her room to remote monitor via her iphone when ever she wants. Nursing home does have wifi available to patients. Is there an Arlo camera suitable for this application?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TX_BB wrote:

My wife recently moved her 97 yr old mother into a nursing home. She would like to install a camera in her room to remote monitor via her iphone when ever she wants. Nursing home does have wifi available to patients. Is there an Arlo camera suitable for this application?

You likely will need consent from the nursing home.  They might not allow it at all, or they might insist that the microphones be disabled.

Even if they are ok with it, it is possible that their wifi authentication might not be compatible with Arlo.  Many business wifi setups redirect you to their own landing page when you first connect, and either make you log in or accept their terms of service.  That setup won't work with IP cameras.

That said, if they allow it and their wifi doesn't require logging in/accepting terms, then I'd suggest an Arlo Q for this.  It's an indoor camera that doesn't need a base. 

Another option would be the Arlo Go.  That uses mobile data, so it wouldn't use the nursing home wifi.  But of course you'd need to pay the mobile carrier (and pick a carrier that gets good service inside the building).

Arlo bases all need wired ethernet connections (not wifi) - which probably rules out the original Arlo WireFree, all Pro models, and the Ultra for this.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TX_BB wrote:

You likely will need consent from the nursing home.  They might not allow it at all, or they might insist that the microphones be disabled.

Even if they are ok with it, it is possible that their wifi authentication might not be compatible with Arlo.  Many business wifi setups redirect you to their own landing page when you first connect, and either make you log in or accept their terms of service.  That setup won't work with IP cameras.

That said, if they allow it and their wifi doesn't require logging in/accepting terms, then I'd suggest an Arlo Q for this.  It's an indoor camera that doesn't need a base. 

Another option would be the Arlo Go.  That uses mobile data, so it wouldn't use the nursing home wifi.  But of course you'd need to pay the mobile carrier (and pick a carrier that gets good service inside the building).

Arlo bases all need wired ethernet connections (not wifi) - which probably rules out the original Arlo WireFree, all Pro models, and the Ultra for this.

TX_BB
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I found out that at least one other room had an Arlo Q and apparently works well. I will give that a try.