Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No Internet or Camera LED Lights on Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jeffrey_tl
Guide
Guide

So recently had to disconnect my base station to paint the room.  When I went to reconnect, the internet and camera LED lights never flickered or came on.  (yes, the internet cable was connect to the base station when doing the reset)  However, the camera was showing as connected on my router and had full access to the camera.  I also noticed that the SSID was being broadcasted which never happened before.  I preformed a couple of factory resets and again, only 3 of the 5 LED lights blink (the internet and camera LED lights stay dark) after the 10 seconds.

I have 2 identical base stations and the other base station has all 3 lights and the SSID is not being broadcasted. 

I have rebooted the modem (have a Netgear Orbi system and I have tried different Ethernet ports and cable.  I am able to link the cameras to the base station after factory resetting but the camera LED light never flickered or came on (stayed dark) and it is connecting to modem. 

I'm glad the cameras still works minus the LED lights but what is concerning is that SSID being broadcast?  At times I wish I had the power to turn on the LED lights but now that they are off I miss the reassurance that the system is on correctly.  I understand that it is impossible to hack the base station using the SSID but why all of sudden is it being broadcasted? 

thank you

8 REPLIES 8
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jeffrey_tl

I have provided a link with more information regarding this inquiry. Why does my Arlo base station broadcast its SSID and is that a security risk?

Jeffrey_tl
Guide
Guide

I have read this post and several other posts about broadcasting SSID.  I even mentioned in my post that I understand that hacking the base station is near impossible.  However, most of the posts say it happens after performing a factory reset.  Mine started before performing the reset.  And why is it only one of my base stations and not the other? 

But there are no posts that I can find about the internet and camera LED lights both being out yet the system still performing. 

I'm sort of OK with the SSID being broadcasted but I find it odd that having the base station off for about 24 hours caused the lights to go out and the SSID to start broadcasting prior to doing a reset but my other base station had no changes.  The reason why I preformed the reset was to see if that would bring the lights back on.  I noticed that after holding the reset button for 10 seconds that 3 of the 5 lights lit (minus the camera and internet lights) and only the power light remains on.  

This is the reason why I submitted this post because of the lights being out.  The SSID broadcasting also happened at the same time so I included it to provide all information.  Could the lights being out cause the SSID to broadcast?  Don't seem logical but both happened at the same time. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Internet LED being out means no connection to your router at all. You can verify this by looking at the connected devices in your router settings - no IP address assigned to the base. This can be due to a bad port on the base or router or a bad or not properly connected cable. I would reboot the router and base, in that order as well as use a different cable. 

Is it possible that the painting got paint into one end of the Ethernet connection, causing a lack of electrical connection?

Jeffrey_tl
Guide
Guide

From my original post:

So recently had to disconnect my base station to paint the room. When I went to reconnect, the internet and camera LED lights never flickered or came on. (yes, the internet cable was connect to the base station when doing the reset) However, the camera was showing as connected on my router and had full access to the camera. I also noticed that the SSID was being broadcasted which never happened before. I preformed a couple of factory resets and again, only 3 of the 5 LED lights blink (the internet and camera LED lights stay dark) after the 10 seconds.

The router and base station was removed from the room so paint couldn't have gotten in any of the ports or on the cable.  However, I did replace the internet cables and rebooted both router and arlo stations and tried different ports on router as obvious first steps fixes to the problem.  That is what doesn't make sense, the base station is showing connected to the router, I am able to link cameras, turn them off and on, all normal activity except that the internet and camera lights don't flicker or turn on or anything. 

Plus, wouldn't the internet and camera lights at least flicker after completing a reset or turning back on?  Again, neither of these lights blink or anything (amber or green) after resetting or turning system on.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the LEDs don't come on at least briefly after a power or reboot cycle, I'd say the base is dead. If official support can't offer any solutions, a new base is in the offing.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

It is odd that a failed base would show up in the attached device list of the router.

I'd try removing the base from your account, and then reset it using the pinhole.  Then see if you can add it back.

Jeffrey_tl
Guide
Guide

@StephenB I have done that as well, a couple times.  After doing the reset 3 of the 5 lights blink (minus the internet and camera lights) and only the power light stays on.  When syncing the cameras again the LED light doesn't blink but still allows me to sync them. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support