Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night vision

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I cannot see with  none of the cameras in the dark

Vallorie 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Vallorie,

To add to what TomMac is describing above, if your camera has night vision enabled you will see red LEDs lit up on the face of the camera at night. For instruction son where to find this toggle and to see what this looks like take a look at this article: Are the infrared LEDs on the Arlo Wire-Free and Arlo Q cameras visible at night?

JamesC

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Check and make sure the IR illuminators are toggled on in settings 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Vallorie,

To add to what TomMac is describing above, if your camera has night vision enabled you will see red LEDs lit up on the face of the camera at night. For instruction son where to find this toggle and to see what this looks like take a look at this article: Are the infrared LEDs on the Arlo Wire-Free and Arlo Q cameras visible at night?

JamesC

Budman1
Tutor
Tutor
I am confused about this. I have seen cameras work at night with street lights and othe landscape lighting and it looks like grainy daylight. My arlo HD showed this for a little while even. The switch for night vision has never done anything. It's as if the sensitivity of the camera does not have a night mode that works. Because I saw what it could do that one time and it was AS IT SHOULD BE!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
First, battery operated cameras have limited ability to light up the area. 10 to 15 feet is about it (inverse square law applies here). Also, when the light level falls sufficiently, the cam switches to B&W to try to get an image. Color is a no-go and quality drops, just as it does with any other digital camera that uses a small sensor. Cell phones suck at low light levels, too, for exactly the same reason. Understanding the technology goes a long way.