Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Night vision not working (infrared lights are on though)

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Rob-TX
Initiate
Initiate

All of a sudden my camera's night vision isn't working properly. If I go outside and look at the camera I can see the infrared lights are on and the camera activates and records but it's mostly dark on the recording. I have done everything I can think of. Below is a list of steps I have taken to try and fix this:

-Turned off and then back on the night vision setting on the camera.

-Manual start/stop the camera to see if it's a bug.

-Restarted the base station

-Pulled the batteries from the camera itself and then put them back (basically restart the camera).

I appreciate any advice I can get on this. And if this sounds like a warrenty issue how do I go about filing a claim? Thank you! 

-Rob

5 REPLIES 5
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hm, don't know what this could be.

One more thing I'd try is to use fresh batteries.

To submit a support request, go to https://my.netgear.com.

But you can also do that over the phone. They will try a few troubleshooting steps anyway. Maybe they can fix it over the phone.

Follow the Support link above, then under Helpful Links follow Contact Support. You'll see options to contact them via web form, online chat or phone.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This begs the question as to how far the distance is.  The IR LEDs are limited in their ability to light more than about 10-15 feet.  Light falls off at the square of the distance so it takes 4x the power to illuminate 2x the distance.  If this is the issue, there are external IR lights from Amazon, etc. that can be used for additional lighting.

Also, you can try using live view and click on the "sun" brightness icon.  Slide the control to brighter and save the setting.  That will help somewhat.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Netgear found my camera to be faulty and they replaced it.

-Robert
Rob-TX
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the info on external IR lights which may be something I check into in the future, but I think you missed the part where I said "All of a sudden it stopped working."  This camera was working as I expcted it too and then one night I noticed all my night time vides were black. I know when night vision kicks on I can hear a clicking sound on my other cameras and I don't recall hearing it anymroe on this particular camera. So it's almost like something internal isn't activating to allow the camera to see the IR lights. I'm not sure how the mehcanics of the camera works, but my money is saying this camera probably needs to be replaed. 

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Rob-TX wrote:

Thanks for the info on external IR lights which may be something I check into in the future, but I think you missed the part where I said "All of a sudden it stopped working."  This camera was working as I expcted it too and then one night I noticed all my night time vides were black. I know when night vision kicks on I can hear a clicking sound on my other cameras and I don't recall hearing it anymroe on this particular camera. So it's almost like something internal isn't activating to allow the camera to see the IR lights. I'm not sure how the mehcanics of the camera works, but my money is saying this camera probably needs to be replaed. 

Yeah, if it stopped working, I would definitely think that it needs to be replaced.

-Robert