Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night Vision not working?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
mark2741
Follower
Follower

The night vision on one of my cameras is not working. See the image - you can see the 2 cameras I have, and clearly the one's night vision is working much better than the other.

I have already tried resetting the one camera by opening the battery cover and closing it, but the night vision issue remains. I guess next step would be to swap camera positions to see if that helps? Or is one of my cameras just broken? 

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe it's working as best it can. Note that the 2nd picture also has light from the doorway illuminating the scene and that the area is noticeably closer than in the 1st image.  The IR illumination isn't terribly strong so distant objects won't be well illuminated. Light falls off at the rate of the square of the distance so doubling the distance causes light to only be 1/4 of the original distance. There are much strongest IR spotlights you can get off Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Ir+spotlights) to help out in this case.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It does look mounted high and views out to empty yard/drive... the second has light colored walls and the IR will reflect off them too, making it appear brighter.

A quick test is to take the camera into a dark room with motion on ... count the leds on the front.  ( you can see them as a slight red glow as they're 850nm ) run a test of both in the room

Or if it not easy to get them down, go out at night and look at the cameras to see the leds... get aprox 10ft from each and compair lighting on the resulted video ( on the same subject, same distance )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

just swap the two cameras positions... take another set of photos tonight (under the same lighting conditions.).. and compare them.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Also try and check your brightness settings.. sometimes for any reason it might be set to all the way

at the minimum..