Night Vision Improvement

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RegDawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

We need to see some improvement with night vision. Unless there is lighting in the area, and the lighting was bright enough, it would be hard to identify someone in the video. I hav a video camera mounted about 20-25 ft above my driveway (garage overhang). It see's the driveway well but someone could easily come into my driveway and break into one of my cars. Although the video would be there as proof, it would be difficult to identify who it is or possibly what they took. Zooming in just makes the image even worse. 

I don't know if all night vision camera's are like this.....maybe they are. 

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's certainly the strength of the IR illuminators that's an issue but then that's also related to battery life.  Perhaps a better solution would be a separate IR spot/floodlight to increase the illumination.  Search for them on Amazon, etc. - there's many available.  Just be sure it's 850nm.

RegDawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

It's certainly the strength of the IR illuminators that's an issue but then that's also related to battery life.  Perhaps a better solution would be a separate IR spot/floodlight to increase the illumination.  Search for them on Amazon, etc. - there's many available.  Just be sure it's 850nm.

Would you happen to have an example? I've searched and there's so many, wasn't sure what to look for.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have one but I've pondered adding one with motion detection.  A sample is here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_2?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A11040971%2Ck%3Air+illuminator+for+night+vi...

I think TomMac is using the one from the Vuezone system.

RegDawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

I don't have one but I've pondered adding one with motion detection.  A sample is here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_2?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A11040971%2Ck%3Air+illuminator+for+night+vi...

I think TomMac is using the one from the Vuezone system.

So how would these actually work? Basically the IR detects motion and turns on the light which tells Arlo to start recording?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera has its motion detection and the IR illuminator would have its own.  You'd need to putz with the settings on each to ensure that the separate illuminator would turn on before or at the same time as the camera.

RegDawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

The camera has its motion detection and the IR illuminator would have its own.  You'd need to putz with the settings on each to ensure that the separate illuminator would turn on before or at the same time as the camera.

oh okay....gotcha. So it would just need to be in the right spot and turn on at the right time. Well I guess something to consider.

Thanks