Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night Vision Battery impact

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
coreyconsulting
Aspirant
Aspirant

As I was setting up my camera, I noticed that my dim interior caused the camera to go into Night Vision mode and use the IR lights. I can turn Night Vision off and still have a good picture, but it made me wonder if Day or Night mode uses more battery?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

coreyconsulting wrote:

As I was setting up my camera, I noticed that my dim interior caused the camera to go into Night Vision mode and use the IR lights. I can turn Night Vision off and still have a good picture, but it made me wonder if Day or Night mode uses more battery?

The IR illuminators use more battery power.... So, yes, If you turn them off the batteries will last longer.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

coreyconsulting wrote:

The IR illuminators use more battery power.... So, yes, If you turn them off the batteries will last longer.

coreyconsulting
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much!
I was thinking that maybe the impact of transmiting B&W vs Color may offset the usage of the IR lights.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

coreyconsulting wrote:

Thanks so much!
I was thinking that maybe the impact of transmiting B&W vs Color may offset the usage of the IR lights.

The Arlo cam auto swaps over to BW due to low light conditions ( and for the fact that IR only shows bw anyway with the IR filter ).

The cams will work fine if you use in an area with regular lighting ...prob about a 40w bulb would be on the low end.