Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Network and Security requirements for Arlo Base Station. Model No VMB3000

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
risberg68
Initiate
Initiate

I am trying to connect my Base station to internet to my TP-Link TR-MR6400 (integrated 4G modem) but it fails. Fixed amber light. This is for my summer house and 4G-modem is required.

I have tried do the same on my fixed broadband at home at that works fine, which guides me to that there is something wrong with the settings in my 4G-modem/router.

Are there any network and security setting specification anywhere? Is there any error log etc that can be used for troubleshooting?

I have opened ports 80 and 443 to the IP-number my base station has been given. How do I understand what more I need to do?

Best Regards

Anders

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's actually the outgoing ports of 80, 123 and 443 to Netgear.com that needs to be open.
risberg68
Initiate
Initiate

Thank's for the response, I have now opened also 123, but still no change. I read somewhere that there can be ISP settings/limitations. Could that be it?

Are there any total list of requirements/settings that I can use as a checklist to see that I have done all needed configuration?

/Anders

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Note that I said OUTGOING ports need to be open - you seemed to imply that you opened incoming ports.

You would have to talk to the ISP about whether there are any issues they cause getting those ports open to netgear.com.  The only requirements are those ports being open.

You might want to consider the new Arlo Go cameras which work only on cell service.  You'd have to utilize the specific servcie, though, not your existing one.

bojand
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem.

I have an Arlo basestation that works fine when connected to my normal broadband router.

When I connect it to a 4G router (TP-Link TL-MR6400 with data sim card) the internet light is always amber.

When I connect my laptop to the same ethernet port (and same cable), everything works fine. Outbound ports 80 TCP, 443 TCP and 123 UDP seem to work fine (netcat/ntpdate outputs below). ntpdate -q time-a.netgear.com also works.

I also tried using the TL-MR6400 as a router connected to my normal broadband router (ie. without using a sim card) and then connecting Arlo to the TL-MR6400. That worked fine. But using the 4G mode doesn't.

Are there any other network requirements that would prevent Arlo working with mobile broadband?

Thanks,

Bojan

--------------------

Netcat and ntpdate output from my laptop connected to the same ethernet port:

bojand-macbookpro:~ bojand$ nc -v arlo.netgear.com 80
found 0 associations
found 1 connections:
1: flags=82<CONNECTED,PREFERRED>
outif en5
src 192.168.0.100 port 50188
dst 52.48.192.144 port 80
rank info not available
TCP aux info available

Connection to arlo.netgear.com port 80 [tcp/http] succeeded!

bojand-macbookpro:~ bojand$ nc -v arlo.netgear.com 443
found 0 associations
found 1 connections:
outif en5
src 192.168.0.100 port 51910
dst 54.229.136.60 port 443
rank info not available
TCP aux info available

Connection to arlo.netgear.com port 443 [tcp/https] succeeded!

bojand-macbookpro:~ bojand$ nc -vu arlo.netgear.com 123
found 0 associations
found 1 connections:
outif (null)
src 192.168.0.100 port 54033
dst 54.229.136.60 port 123
rank info not available

Connection to arlo.netgear.com port 123 [udp/ntp] succeeded!

bojand-macbookpro:~ bojand$ ntpdate -q time-a.netgear.com
server 209.249.181.52, stratum 1, offset -0.051777, delay 0.23038
31 Mar 00:05:00 ntpdate[1907]: adjust time server 209.249.181.52 offset -0.051777 sec

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless someone with a similar setup has a suggestion, I'd say you need to contact support to see if they have a solution.