Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Re: My Arlo camera's are offline

hdvhdv
Initiate
Initiate
I got this problem already 3 times since I setup my 3 cameras 2 weeks ago. I have a good wifi signal and obviously my batteries are new. Very annoying as this makes the system completly unreliable.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Never rely on expectations as to battery condition.  There are lots of things that can cause them to deplete rapidly (WiFi connection and number of minutes of recording and live view being primary amongst them).

What app are you using?  There's a new Android app (v2.1.2) that fixes a supposed offline condition which was bogus.  Check with a browser if you have issues since it may be one but not the other that's the issue.

Tankthedog
Aspirant
Aspirant
My cameras went offline but then came back on after repeatedly turning off and on my phone and the app but one of them still says offline. How do i fix this?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try opening and closing the battery door.  Watch the LED on the camera front to verify proper operation - should blink slow blue than rapid blue.  This could also be just a case of dead batteries.

Bigdaddywill38
Star
Star
I have the same problem, all 4 cameras went off line today, got home and they were online, a short time later they were off line again. Also I get an alert on my iPhone that motion @ front door, eat but no video.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bigdaddywill38,

It sounds like there could be an issue with the cameras signal strength. This could be due to range or interference.

How far away from the base station are your cameras? Do you see the same behavior on all cameras? What does the WiFi signal strength indicator show for the affected cameras?

JamesC

Bigdaddywill38
Star
Star
Hi James, cameras are where they are when I set up system, first 7-10 days it worked great, now not so much. Don't get phone alerts, ok rarely rarely get them, dose not show up in library, there are 2 in library today but should be at least 6 wifi signal strength on cameras full, cameras no future than 45 feet but not less than 15 feet. All 4 cameras affected shoot, 1 camera I have to do jumping jacks to get a motion detection from
1Scooter
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi one of my camera are offline we just purchased the system last night and everything was fine
1Scooter
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm CST
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

1Scooter,

It could be that the batteries in this camera are depleted. Open and close the battery compartment door and pay close attention to the LED behavior on the camera: What do the different LED behaviors on my Arlo Wire-Free camera mean?

It could also be that this camera has dropped offline due to poor signal strength, consider bringing the camera close to the base station and power cycle it (open and close the battery compartment door) and see if the camera comes back online.

Take a look at this article for an extensive list of possible reasons and solutions for camera's being offline: My Arlo Wire-Free camera is offline; how can I troubleshoot it?

JamesC

Bigdaddywill38
Star
Star
There's nothing wrong with my wifi, or the strength, or the distance from base, or the batteries, I put fresh ones in that are same that system came with. James, there's nothing wrong with my wifi or Internet company. The first 7-10 days were great, now it seems like there a heck of a lot of us with many problems and if I save the box I would have taken this back to BB days ago and gotten my $541.00 bacK and don't treat us like idiots...we're not!! I've done everything imaginable and troubleshooting everything before I contacted you , THIS SYSTEM SUCKS!! Thank you
mocodi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Power cycling the Arlo base station and my router, power cycling cameras by opening the battery compartment door, removing and re-pairing cameras - none of that worked for my "your device is not connected" issue:

Your device is not connected.

Only thing that fixed it was factory reset of the base station via the button on the back, followed by retreiving and resyncing each camera.

The base station had apparently got itself 'confused' about its connectivity, displaying the Internet LED in amber and the cameras as though they were offline, yet still capturing and uploading videos.

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
ikanell
Star
Star

I am having the exact same problem: cameras are constantly losing sync to my basestation, batteries are  draining within 2-3 days, and Arlo customer support is of little to no help (well, that part should not surprise anyone, since it's Netgear after all).

I bought my 5-wire-free-camera system from Amazon on 8/13.  I took great care to place the basestation as far away as possible from my WiFi router to avoid interference (I ran a 100-ft Ethernet cable), and as close as possible to the cameras.  For the first week or so, everything was perfect.  Battery life had only degraded to about 94-97%, depending on the location and usage of the camera.  Then, suddenly, one camera died.  I called customer support and they shipped me new batteries.  2 days later, another camera died, and the day after that, I watched my other 3 cameras go from about 85% to 15% battery life within 4-5 hours.  Why?  Because the basestation kept losing sync to the cameras.  Power and Internet LEDs were green, but the camera LED was completely off.

Over the next 10 days, I placed multiple calls to customer support; eventually, I got to a Level  2 person who was nice enough to listen carefully.  He sent me fresh batteries, and, more importantly, a "new" basestation.

The "new" basestation arrived on Wednesday 9/7.  First thing out of the wrapping, I could not press the sync button; it was completely immovable.  Then I noticed that the USB connectors were only 50% visible from the outside, and that the cover on two sides was bent, as if it had been forced to close, and you could see the board from inside.

Well, I'll be damned: whoever placed the cover on this refurbished basestation didn't care if they placed it correctly!!  Classic Netgear!

So I spent an hour to open the cover, realign it correctly with the board, and close it securely.  Netgear, you owe me for the time I spent fixing your mistake!

After that, everything worked like a charm - for a while.  For 3 days, I monitored the basestation and the cameras.  There was NO loss of sync, and the battery drain was only about 2-3% after 3 days. I could live with that, right?

Well, this morning I found ALL the cameras offline again; I don't know when exactly the basestation lost sync during the night.  But once I power-cycled it (by removing the power cord), it came back and the cameras have lost another 10% of their battery.

Needless to say, this system is being returned to Amazon, unless someone from Netgear can come up with a magic-trick solution in the next 48 hours (i.e, by 10am Pacific Time on Tuesday 9/13).

Before you start wondering about how far the cameras are from the basestation, here is how I set up this controlled experiment:

1 camera was placed about 5 feet from the basestation;

1 camera was placed about 30 feet from the basestation;

1 camera was placed about 70 feet from the basestation.

Last night, all 3 cameras were showing 95-97% of battery life remaining, after 3.5 days of use.

This morning, all 3 cameras are showing 84-87% of battery life remaining, after only another 8 hours or so of use.

In my opinion, this proves that the battery drain is due to the loss of sync, not distance from basestation or interference or anything else.

BTW, I should tell you that I blame only myself for stupidly allowing myself to buy another Netgear product.  I had a horrible experience with their Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC55300 router a few months ago: I bought it in January and, again, it worked like a charm.  Then, about 10 days after the Amazon return period had expired, the router bricked itself.  I tried everything I could find online, and everything the Netgear "support team" could suggest.  Nothing but an amber light.

They wanted to ship me a replacement, but I didn't want to go through the same pain again.  Since they would not issue a refund, I ended up going to their headquarters and planting myself in their lobby, requesting to speak to some mucky-muck from Customer Support.  I spoke to 4 different people, all of whom seemed desperate to get my defective unit in their hands in order to figure out what had caused the problem.  But they would not budge on the refund, so I walked away with my defective unit.

That defective unit has now become one of the strangest doorstops I've ever seen (see photo below).  It's a great conversation piece, since it allows me to tell my visitors about my terrible experience with Netgear.  And now I'll add my Arlo experience to the story, of course.

X8 doorstop.jpg

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station, VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ikanell,

I apologize for the frustrating experience. I'd like to take a closer look at your support case. If you could provide me the case number I will take a look and offer any additional feedback that I can. If you prefer, you are also welcome to private message me this information.

Thank you,

JamesC

ikanell
Star
Star

JamesC,

Thank you for reaching out.  There is no need to private message you; anything I have to say should be available to everyone going through this frustrating ordeal.

Incredibly, there is good news: there is a solution to this problem.

Two days ago I managed to reach an extremely helpful Netgear agent (Val - ID 8316, who deserves a promotion).  He immediately added me to the field trial of a new firmware that is designed to resolve the battery drain problem.  Apparently, Netgear finally listened to the scores of customers complaining about this, and, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, pushed the new firmware to my system on the eve of the day I was supposed to ship everything back to Amazon.

To my amazement, this appears to be working.  I'm not amazed that your engineers figured out a solution; I am amazed that someone at Netgear actually listened to the customer complaints and assigned a firmware team to find a solution.

The firmware versions are 1.7.8_7427 for the basestation and 1.2.7730 for the wire-free cameras.  Apparently, they've already been pushed to production, so they should be available to everyone very soon.

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ikanell,

Thank you for the follow-up. This is great news! I am glad the issue has been resolved.

The firmware release you are referring to is now available and release notes for this can be viewed here: Release Notes – Base Station FW 1.7.8_7427 and Camera FW 1.2.7730 14th September 2016

JamesC

npseth
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's only 2 days and my cameras are showing it's offline very frequently. Once i was able to get it back online by restarting the base station but it doenst seems to be working now. May need to bring the camera near the base. But it's annoying as you have the cameras and couldnt have a live view when wanted to.

mphmax wrote:

How can I get my camera's back online

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
ikanell
Star
Star

See my detailed report above.  As far as I know, the only solution is to upgrade the firmware of the basestation to version 1.7.8_7427 and the firmware of the wire-free cameras to 1.2.7730.  This completely solved my problem, which was very frequent and would result in complete drain of the cameras.  With the new firmware, my cameras show almost no battery level reduction after 9 days.

JRich1970
Aspirant
Aspirant
My system was ok. My 1 outdoor camera has annoying motion detection where it will trigger when a large vehicle, like a bus passes in my distant street even though it's aimed downwards not viewing street except for a few pixels worth in the top left corner.. where I can sometimes just see said bus's tyre in 1st few seconds of footage. But when my mate drove my car into almost centre of view(much closer obviously)after dropping me & family off at airport for 5wks in asia it didn't trigger/record with motion sensitivity set around 90%. Was fairly ordinary.... not always triggering when humans walking past nearby near centre of view during 6wks of testing before we left home but I've had to back off sensitivity to stop many false alarms.
It was for this reason that last sat I remotely rebooted my system hoping a update may be available to improve this.
Boy do I regret that now! The base seemed to update fine..... but when sending the recent/latest update to my 5 cams 1 at a time to not overwork the base.... there seemed to be hangs and problematic behaviour galore. I started with the least importantly placed cams.... anyway ended up with 3 out of 5 going offline. I suspect possible corrupted firmware which is worst case scenario!
I've since got a friend to visit my home and reboot 2 of the 3 failed cams with no success. Then tried resynch. Rebooted basestation. Tried resynch again. I removed the cams via the app. Tried again. Even rebooted my Netgear 6200 router for good measure.
A few hours after the flop update 6 days ago I tried to contact support. They offered to call me back in 5mins 3 times within an hour period. I even asked if they could call my local Philippines mobile number. Yep they just fobbed me off. Said I will get a call which never came.
So my question is..... do I have 3x $200 paperweights or not. Will netgear fix what their so called update, thats meant to improve their dodgy product....ruined?
Ps... In the last 4.5 hrs I've had 10 triggers from the 1 outdoor cam (which updated successfully) where no motion happened in my gated front yard with sensitivity at 84%. I know if I set it much lower it doesn't trigger at all unless you stand directly in front of camera waving ur hands.
I now have no cams working in my garage where the 2 used to work well. Someone could break in it via the back door now and clean it out of valuable gear and I'd know nothing about it. No evidence/footage. Not good enough Netgear! The $s I've wasted!
Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the pack of 5 cameras. 4 out of 5 show offline. Nothing has changed though: internet is up, same location as the day before, and all green light on the base. Funny enough, i noticed they were offline when i was researching how to add an arlo q which i was about to buy amazon. Pausing that thought before i invest any further! Yes, i restarted the base from the app, and as that did not work, i power the base myself off and on. the base is happily showing its green lights, yet now all 5 cameras are offline. what causes the cameras to go offline? can an notification be sent when it goes offline? how do i reconnect the cameras online?
Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice
quick update: i resynced each camera, and voila, fixed! My remaining question are: what if i'm not at home when this happens, how can i enable the resync remotely? also, please consider enabling notification for when cameras go offline, much nicer to find out that way rather than user checking her/his arlo and wondering "jeez, how long has the system been down for?". Thank you
ikanell
Star
Star

Nabbie, the problem is going to show up again and again.  THE ONLY SOLUTION is to upgrade the firmware of the basestation to version 1.7.8_7427 and the firmware of the wire-free cameras to 1.2.7730.  This completely solved my problem, which was very frequent and would result in complete drain of the cameras.  With the new firmware, my cameras show almost no battery level reduction after 12 days.  There have been a few incidents where the cameras show offline, but the basestation resolves this on its own quickly (within 2-3 minutes) WITHOUT ANY input from me.

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Ikanel, 

I appreciate the input. I checked the base and the firmware shows 1.7.8_7427. The cameras show 1.2.7730. So it seems the firmware is up to date on the devices. I'm glad to hear though that your system got back online by itself. Mine was down for a day before i noticed and resynced it myself. 

Cleverbill1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 1 camera offline...the other 3 are fine
Cleverbill1
Aspirant
Aspirant
How fo I fix it