Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

My Arlo VMB3000/vmc3030 is not sending email notifications for motion detection.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
dzb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Base station custom mode: Camera e4 edit rule: if camera e4 Motion is detected: 90% then camera e4 Record video 15s; Push Notification (green check); Send email alert (green check) to ...@shaw.ca, ....@hotmail.com, ....@hotmail.com

Camera is on, battery 98%, connection is Linked to Base station

I did a "Motion Detection Test" (80%) and the LED on the camera was flashing amber when I walked in front of it. So the camer is detecting motion.

Stopped the test and returned to normal camera operation. Walk in front of the camera, but it does not send and email alert that motion detected. I also checked the library and there is no video recorded.

I should also mention that the base station is connected to the internet and is working because I can view the camera's picture on the browser. Also I can manually record a video with the camera and it will be saved in the library. But for some reason, the motion detection is not recording and sending an alert.

Why is this not working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dzb,

If you get a push notification but no email or library content, this could be due to outdated firmware. What firmware is your camera running?

Some users with poor internet connections have had trouble receiving the firmware updates, who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
manfredz
Hero
Hero

first I'd suspect that you're not using your custom mode, so confirm it is selected.

second thing I'd suspect is you're walking directly into camera and not across it. PIR motion detection systems work much better if motion is across sensor and not into it.

dzb
Aspirant
Aspirant

the Custom is selected because the circle beside the mode is green.  The email alerts were working March 2017, but now they are not. 

dzb
Aspirant
Aspirant

just one further note. It does "push a notification". The notification is received but there is no recording in the library. It does the "push" but it does not record and it does not send the email alert.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the emails aren't being dumped into your spam folder or being blocked by your email providers, open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dzb,

If you get a push notification but no email or library content, this could be due to outdated firmware. What firmware is your camera running?

Some users with poor internet connections have had trouble receiving the firmware updates, who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

dzb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Email is not being blocked. I know this because of another strange quirk. If I have motion detection set "on" but set record video to "Do Nothing", then it will send an email which I receive. But as soon as I change record video to record for "10s", then it will only "push" but not record and not send email. However, the problem has been corrected. See my next reply to the "firmware version" suggestion given by another user.

dzb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it seems to have been a firmware update problem, because it is working now under version 1.8.9.1_13442. The previous version was 1.4.....(I can't remember the whole ver num).

But it is strange how it got resolved. I did contact support and worked with a fellow named Kirby O. I did have a slow internet, but at his request I upgraded to 15 mbps download/1.67mbps upload. We tried several times resetting the base station's reset with a paper clip and then relinking all the cameras and setting up the modes. But the base station did not update the firmware.  We verified that the internet was working at 15/1.67 mbps and it was. Finally Kirby called it quits. I left the system up hoping that it would perhaps download later. I checked about 4 hours later, and the firmware was still the old ver. I tried again the next day, but still no success. I gave up and went on my vactaion which was 8 days long. When I came back, motion detection was sending emails and recording, because as soon as I walked in the front door, I received an email alert. The library had a copy of the recording. I then checked the firmware, and it had the new version. Why it took so long to get the firmware update, I have no idea. But it's working now.