Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My Arlo Camera Fails To Update Firmware (from 1.2.16720)

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
scarrenor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all. I have two Arlo cameras and a base station. Of the two cameras, one has updated its firmware automatically and the other has not. I have attempted to manually update its firmware numerous times. The light blinks blue/orange for a few seconds and eventually resyncs with the base station. However, when I go to see the live view it tells me I need to update the firmware and the version number hasn’t been incremented. It still detects motion and records video, though. It prompts me to update the camera's firmware. Again. And Again. And Again.

I’ve been dealing with this for a few days now and it’s getting old.

I’ve power cycled the base station, removed/readded the camera in question. Removed/returned the batteries to the camera in question. Running out of ideas for a solution. I’m unconvinced that resetting the base station won’t be a waste of time.

Bad camera’s current Firmware is 1.2.16720. The functioning camera’s Firmware is 1.2.21616.

Any thoughts?

17 REPLIES 17
watching56
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have nearly the exact same issue.

The only difference is the camera with 1.2.16720 firmware ("Bad" camera) still operates correctly.

It detects motion and records video fine.

The Arlo app does not tell me to update it.

When I click on Device Info->Firmware, no Update button appears. (I assume the Update button will only appear if the system thinks there is an update for the camera)

The one problem is that it is draining the batteries very quickly, even while I have the system disarmed.

The camera with 1.2.21616 firmware ("Normal" camera) is not draining the batteries.

I have had the VMB3000 and two H7 cameras for a few years.

I changed in May 2018 to the Pro 2 basestation (VMB4000) and added two H3 Pro 2 cameras.

"Bad" H7 camera has Firmware 1.2.16720.

"Normal" H7 camera has Firmware 1.2.21616.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

scarrenor, watching56

It could be a signal strength issue causing the firmware upgrade to fail. Try moving the camera (temporarily) close to the base station and see if you experience the same behavior.

JamesC

scarrenor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC,

Thanks for your feedback. It seems unlikely, as I've had firmware updates go off without a hitch before and have tried updating the firmware while the camera sits beside the station. Still a no-go.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

scarrenor,

If you're still experiencing an issue after relocating the camera next to the base station and the camera does not complete the update automatically overnight, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

jasonriggs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue. Although mine worked initially, after trying and failing to upgrade the camera, it now seems to be in a permanent offline state. Even though it will synch with the base.

I have three others that work fine and have never had a problem updating my H11 cameras before. This is super frustrating. 

I seem to be on some future firmware that doesn't work with v 1.2.16720.

All of my other cameras (three others) work fine with v1.2.21616. Not sure why you guys decided to brick one of my camera with this terrible firmware, but please don't roll it out to any of the other devices until you fix the issue.

After reaching out to support, I was told "This is a known issue and our development team is working to resolve it." However, there was no timeline for when they hoped to fix it. So now I have a useless camera at one of the most important security spots in my house and all I can do is sit around and hope they figure this out someday. 

Having been a proponent of Arlo for the past three years and recommending the product to several friends, this is extremely disappointing. 

I wish I could either 1) do a true factory reset of the camera. Not sure why you don't offer this option as that tends to fix issues on other hardware products and 2) pull the firmware down to my phone and do the update from there. That's a much more reliable model for pushing FW updates in my opinion.

Anyway, if you can help me fix this camera in any way, I'd very much appreciate it.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi jasonriggs,

Before I suggest anything, What trouble shooting steps have you tired previously?

Cbearden
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought the 3 camera wire free HD Security System. 24 hours after setting it up one of my cameras keep telling me to update the firmware but when I try it says camera rejected the update. I have tried removing the device and adding it back and tried de-arming the system. Nothing works. How can I get this camera to update the firmware??

jasonriggs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Shayne,

@ShayneS wrote:

Hi jasonriggs,

Before I suggest anything, What trouble shooting steps have you tired previously?

I have done the following:

• Power cycled base and waited 30 seconds after a power cycle
    • Re-Paired my camera after removing just the one camera
  • Removed and re-added all cameras
  • Disarmed all cameras before re-adding them
  • Kept the "Firmware Updating" screen open on my browser for 2- 3 hours while updating the firmware
  • Left my camera next to the base for 5 conescutive nights (fully charged and ready to update)

Is there anything left to try?

scarrenor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any update on NetGear's ability to deal with this situation? As with the other poster, I was told this is a "known issue" by tech support via email a few months ago. I'm not sure about the nature of these forums (paid employees, volunteers, etc) and whether the moderaters have access to that sort of information. I would hope that a defect which essentially bricks a camera is considered urgent...

I ask because my frustration with Arlo is increasing, as we (perhaps foolishly) bought two Arlo Pro cameras very recently and while they were running like a charm initially now one is showing as "Offline" inexplicably (the other camera works fine, of course-- a pattern is emerging) and we're ON TRAVEL so unable to remedy the situation.

I mean...come on.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A common problem is slow Internet speeds. What are your upload and download speeds as measured by speedtest.net? If this is the problem, take the system to a friend's house that has faster Internet and do the firmware updates there. Then return home and things should be ducky.

jasonriggs
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

A common problem is slow Internet speeds. What are your upload and download speeds as measured by speedtest.net? If this is the problem, take the system to a friend's house that has faster Internet and do the firmware updates there. Then return home and things should be ducky.

My speed tests on Speedtest.net as measured just now show 90 mbps download and 12 mbps upload.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like you need to open a case with support here.

jasonriggs
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

Sounds like you need to open a case with support here.

Cool. How do I do that?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here and again on the new page.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

scarrenor,

To add to what jguerdat said, I have provided the link for Arlo Technical Support - Arlo Tech Support

jasonriggs
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS wrote:

scarrenor,

To add to what jguerdat said, I have provided the link for Arlo Technical Support - Arlo Tech Support

Okay. This is a little confusing.

Aren't you guys in Netgear tech support?

At my company our tech support team opens the tech support tickets.

If you want to give me Jira or ServiceNow access and login credentials, I'll go ahead and open the ticket, but I would think it would be easier if one of your support personnel did it. Can you open the ticket?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jasonriggs,

The engineering team is aware of a small number of users experiencing this issue. We already have a ticket open and this is still being investigated.

Given the troubleshooting steps you've already mentioned, i'll open a support case and provide you with the case number in a private message.

JamesC