Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
OceanLC
Follower
Follower

I will be mounting this in a carport at the beach.  What installation options are there so the unit is secure and won't get stolen.  The magnetic mount and plugable system doesn't look secure for outside.

121 REPLIES 121
jeff_757
Star
Star

The last picture may have worked.  Attempting a different image upload using Firefox

IMG_1502.JPG

ant
Mentor
Mentor

jeff_757 wrote:

The last picture may have worked.  Attempting a different image upload using Firefox

IMG_1502.JPG

Nope. Same result. Did you make it public?

jeff_757
Star
Star

Yes.  I have opened a case with support.  Hopefully they will fix it.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

One hammer and all that fine work is done..

in my experience, the camera is expendable 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jeff_757
Star
Star

Is anyone still having problems viewing pictures in this post?

jeff_757
Star
Star

Another picture attemptTest Picture

ant
Mentor
Mentor

jeff_757 wrote:

Another picture attemptTest Picture

Last week's images worked, but not today's. Interesting.

jeff_757
Star
Star

I will contact tech support back.  The odd thing is I can see the picture in your reply quoted text.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Images takes a while to show up here for some reason. Just hang on and they magically appear. I can see you images now.

Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does the older VueZone outdoor mount work with the newer Arlo cameras?  Or do I need to buy the VMA1000 mount?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any mount with a standard camera 1/4"-20 socket will work.

jeff_757
Star
Star

Picture of the camera in place secured with a cable lock.

Porch camera cable lock.JPG

Miculinic
Initiate
Initiate

While not totally theft proof, I did manage to make our driveway camera more secure.

20150606_165407 (1024x576).jpg

20150606_163706 (1024x576).jpg

20150606_163823 (1024x576).jpg

20150606_164350 (1024x576).jpg

20150606_164327 (1024x576).jpg

Rudy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I too have done what most of you suggested, and thus far it works well.

I have secured some to tress as shown below.

Camera Mount Kit (2 per pack)

Mount Kit (2 mounts come per pack)

Lock (actually just a 15 inch firearm lock)

A basic hasp

sec1.jpg

sec2.jpg

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Nice work, people.  Isn't it a pain to replace its batteries when it is time? 😞

Rudy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not really, only changed them once about a week ago. I lock the most vulnerable cameras, this is at the top of the driveway. I have it higher than others at about 9 1/2 feet or so..motion detection still works great.

What I am curious about if a camera does get stolen, can NetGear block the serial number? So if someone tries to re-use the camera it becomes useless or they get questioned as to where they purchased the camera?

Camera is on the tree roughly where the red arrow points.

sec3.jpg

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

with the smaller cable and crimp loop, prob easy as the door slides back first then open... worse case he'd have to rotate the loop to the side a bit

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Rudy wrote:

What I am curious about if a camera does get stolen, can NetGear block the serial number? So if someone tries to re-use the camera it becomes useless or they get questioned as to where they purchased the camera?

Good Question.. Netgear only knows.. I think if you register your camera, they may be able to block it by letting them know...Other than that Serial #s are usually just to keep records of the product and warranty.. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

if the camera was not removed ( unregistered ) from the base, it may not sync to another.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

A workaround maybe is the mini usb inside the camera to use as a reset and go back to its factory settings? 

Rudy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Eventually one would delete the camera from their base and replace it with a new camera?

So I don't see how that would be a good deterrent.

MikeWilkins
Initiate
Initiate

Has anyone tried a wire light bulb cage?  We've found one that we think will work according to dimensions.  Going to order them and try it out.  Nothing will stop the determined person.  As my dad used to say, "locks keep honest people out". Below is a picture of what I'm talking about.  It should prevent removal and access to the battery compartment?  My main concern is that the lens will be able to be positioned so no wires are blocking it.

wiregage.jpg

They can be found at http://www.webstaurantstore.com/fmp-253-1232-wire-light-bulb-guard-for-hood-globe/3592531232.html

if you want to check them out.

htown-man
Initiate
Initiate

Great idea for the light bulb cage!  Did that work?

htown-man
Initiate
Initiate

I just reached out to Ram Mount and asked if they had a solution.  They recommended the below solution:

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-102-A-237U

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-KNOB3LSU

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm

I ordered the first two and will wait to see if I can still access the battery door once mounted.  If so, I'll buy the thread locker.  At that point, it'll be as secure as reasonably possible barring baseball bats or shaving cream.

afeid
Star
Star

Thanks for the links. I ended up buying several of those. For my ceiling mount, to give me

the flexibility I needed, I used the angle pieces from 2 of the mounts to make a u-mount that

came up from the bottom. For my other, I used a 3rd one by itself as a wall mount, so I got 2

perfect mounts for less than it would have cost to buy the arlo mounts. But as I said in my

product review, I shouldn't have to buy different mounts, the cameras should ship with decent

ones that don't need replaced. Thanks again.