Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Sensor Recording Help

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Gilfamily8
Follower
Follower

My camera is set to record for 50 seconds but if someone is still outside it takes forever to pick it up again after the first time. And it doesn’t always pick up motion until a person is almost out of the picture? Also why do my camera only record for a few seconds when someone is out side it’s like it just records for 3-10 seconds sometimes is there a way to get it to just record the whole time a person is in the view

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You need an Arlo Pro or Arlo Pro 2. It records sooner after motion is detected and has the facility to record until motion stops

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gilfamily8 wrote:
My camera is set to record for 50 seconds but if someone is still outside it takes forever to pick it up again after the first time. And it doesn’t always pick up motion until a person is almost out of the picture? Also why do my camera only record for a few seconds when someone is out side it’s like it just records for 3-10 seconds sometimes is there a way to get it to just record the whole time a person is in the view

There's a few things mentioned here:

1) Set to record for 50 seconds but only getting a few seconds of video sounds like the connection between the camera and base has issues. Might be signal strength or quality. The strength issue may come from the number of walls and floors the signal has to pass through as well as anything that blocks the signal like ductwork in the walls, mirrors or other metallic objects, etc., or even house construction.

2) Motion detection is best when the motion is across the FOV, not directly at the camera. ALso, people detection for these cameras is about 20 feet so positioning is critical to best detection. Read the FAQs here on best positioning practices and post screenshots with descriptions from your cameras for suggestions.

3) In addition to best positioning, there's a 2-3 second lag between detection and recording due to the need for the camera to wake, contact the base and the servers and be able to start streaming. It's the nature of battery-operated, cloud-recording camera systems.

You can optimize the system to work properly by following a few guidelines.