Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection - test detects motion (orange light) but camera will not record from said distance.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

I have the motion sensitivity set to 100% and during the test, it blinks from said distance.  However, it does not record from said distance when tested.  However, if I move closer to it and get about 10 feet away, it will record.  Summary: it won't activiate for recording past 10 feet yet tests positive for motion activity at 22'.  Same for all cameras.  Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

I walked towards camera using a countdown finger count.  When I got to five feet away, camera finally recorded.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Wrong test since motion toward the camera is the problem. Best detection for any PIR is side to side, not directly at the camera.

bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

Tried that dozens of times on this and another camera.  It will detect via the test but not record.  Safe to say that point of motion detection is not the same as point of recording.  There is no "beam" to break/cut unless you are within 10 feet.  Cameras will not detect side to side from any distance greater than 10 feet.  So if what you are saying is true, then when I walk out my back door (see pic from 2nd post) and continue towards the street, the camera should start recording because it is a side to side motion.  However, it does not.  Same thing in my back yard.  You could walk perpendicular to the camera and it would not record unless you were at 10'.  I have had several motion camera systems and none behave this way.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your image in the second post needs to be rotated down some. I can't be sure that would help but I'd certainly start there.

bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

That would help but at the current setting, the motion is detected as soon as I walk out the door (during sensitivity test).  Recording does not start.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try removing the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync it. Ensure all firmware is up to date.

bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

Firmware was updated on initial connection.  Tried the disconnect and reset, even removed batteries.  Still the same problem... the trigger to record is not in synch with the actual motion detection field.