Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection is Inconsistent

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
ArloUserNY
Follower
Follower

Noticing there is a significant absence of movement detection from my cameras. Even with adjusting the angle and sensitivity. Anyone else experiencing this issue? 

10 REPLIES 10
WJ_Birmingham
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, very much so.  For me, it seems the color "brown" doesn't register at all.  The camera gets me coming/going, the USPS carrier, but when Big Brown (UPS) shows up, it never detects his truck nor him walking to the door.

The oddity is that the darn thing will pick up bugs, humming birds, and even the bushes moving...  But a big brown truck and a guy in a brown uniform...  Not a chance.

WJ_Birmingham
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here's a photo of my camera. 

Capture.JPG

Str8key
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue; at times I get 20 seconds of nothing, or I can bring the dogs outside, it will record me leaving, but not coming back. 3 Dogs and a person should register every time. I pick  up wasps, birds, other bugs even in the dark. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera?

JamesC

WJ_Birmingham
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can see my camera's field of view above.  It is aimed properly, unless you have a suggestion.

Mail lady just rang the doorbell, and the camera never tripped.  Of course, it tripped when I walked outside to pick up the package, and she was already back in the truck.  Go figure.

Not impressed with Arlo's motion detection at all.

Patrik_S
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same feeling here .... to even call it motiondetection is not correct.

All feedback with all issues is .. "adjust the cameras position".

Well, the camera migh just can be placed in one spot in one direction.

Bought this soultion to my fathers cabin and im ashamed by my poor choise as he don't got a system that works.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any PIR detector device is going to have positioning issues, whether Arlo or a motion detection light.  If you're not going to follow the suggestions and directions for best placement then I agree - it's not the system for you.

WJ_Birmingham
Aspirant
Aspirant

You would think a "superuser" (whatever that means) would have some actual valuable input when a picture of what the camera sees is posted.  But, I guess the title is relevant to the post count, and not actual assistance.

aahigh
Guide
Guide

This is a niche area of knowledge, and I'm not a "superuser" but I am very experienced at offending people unintentionally.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-pi-lesson-12-sensing-movement

If you truly want to learn, I advise the use of Google, and I further advise to not place blame on others who are attempting to help.

I agree that Arlo could be better.  But I also suggest that Arlo Pro, specifically, is among the very best with motion detection.

I have cameras that cost $1,000 and up and don't offer better motion detection solutions.  This problem is not limited just to Arlo Cameras.

Also, if you learn about triggering recording, you may find that you can wire up your own motion detection hardware and link it in with the Arlo software.  I have not done this, but again, Google is your friend.

Let me know if you become more experienced with what can reasonably be expected with motion detection hardware.  But I have found Arlo Pro to work very competitively for the price against all other solutions.  Just my perspective.

That being said, I think that Arlo could make more product offerings (and should) being the leader, right now, in the products that perform well for their intended purposes.

RegieH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spend more time adjusting than enjoying its benefits.  

Not only is it is inconsitent.  When it captures movement sometimes the person is almost gone from the camera's scope.  I think its a waste of money.