Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection Problem

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
hebutts
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought the new Arlo Pro and mounted it where my older Arlo was located. The new Pro works fine and I like the ability to record sound and to talk to whoever is on my back porch. The problem I have is with the original Arlo. I mounted it on the end of my screened in porch and angled it down to face my driveway. The problem is I cannot get the motion to work when it should. A tree branch blowing will set off the 'record video' but me walking in front of the camera does nothing. I have decreased the sensitivity from 100% down to 90% (because of the tree branch) and I still get the motion of the tree branch (about 20 feet away) yet I can walk in front of the camera field (about 10 feet away) and it will not set off the 'record video'. I have tried readjusting the sensitivity down lower and nothing seems to work. I took it all the way down to 65% before it would stop picking up the motion of the branch but still it won't record anything. I will say this since I have the camera mounted inside my screened in porch is it possible this wire mesh screen is obstructing my body when I walk in front of it but allows the tree branch to be picked up? Not sure. Thanks for any help you can give. Harold

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The view of the camera should be completely unobstructed. It shouldn't be mounted behind the screen door. 

The other point will be the positioning of the camera in relation to the direction you walk. Motion side to side across the FOV is picked up much much easier than motion directly towards or away from the camera, especially the original Arlo HD wirefree.

Post a screenshot of what the camera sees

hebutts
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Steve for the info. I have one Arlo (1st version) mounted to catch motion of anyone coming onto my back porch but it is 8' away from my screen door so that one works great.  This one only has one place to be mounted and it was only about 2' away from the screen on the side of the porch facing the driveway.  That's where the problem lies.  It would sometimes give me a false reading because sunlight (refecting off the metal screen) and/or wind (moving the screen) would cause Arlo Pro to give a notice of movement.  If I turned down the sensitivity too much then I would not get motion alerts from anyone coming onto my driveway.  I had to return the Arlo Pro since I could not use it where I needed it.  There was no place to mount it on the outside of the screen unless I drilled into my brand new siding (which is a no-no for us).  Thanks again for your help and you are exactly right....the screen is NOT a good place to mount an Arlo.  Thanks again.