Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Model SS1201 base hub will not connect to my wifi. it does not recognize the wifi

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
cavedoc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have followed instructions for connecting to wifi. When I go thru the steps, the app does not "see" my 2.4 network. Oddly, it will see the 2.4 guest network but I cannot connect to that. When I manually enter the network name and password, it will not try to connect, but unable to after 1 or 2 minutes. Yes, I have quadruple checked the name and pw and I'm on the 2.4 network on my phone; and I moved the hub to within 3 feet of the wifi router. The only difference between the guest network and the regular 2.4 network is the security on the regular network (WPA/WPA2/Mixed-Personal).

The hub has not been connected to the internet and when I've tried to do a "reset", the lights do not blink 5 times as indicated in the instructions.

support suggested using a different "device" to connect to the wifi, but I own one phone, so.....

suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cavedoc wrote:

I turned off security on the 2.4 network

That won't work, Arlo devices need WPA2 (AES) set for the network security.  

Not sure why your phone isn't seeing your normal home network - are you hiding the network SSID in your router settings???

Also, if you are using MAC address security or similar access controls, try disabling them during onboarding.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
cavedoc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm sorry. I mistyped...

when I enter the name and password, it will try to connect but after 1 or 2 minutes says it's unable to connect.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base or hub MUST connect to your router via an Ethernet cable as stated in the directions the app provides. It does not use your home WiFi for anything but does use the cable to access the Internet through your router.

The reset procedure is here:

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cavedoc wrote:

The only difference between the guest network and the regular 2.4 network is the security on the regular network (WPA/WPA2/Mixed-Personal).

You could try changing the regular network to WPA2.    Though the app should be seeing it if your phone is connected.

@cavedoc wrote:

support suggested using a different "device" to connect to the wifi, but I own one phone, so.....

Do you have a PC (either windows or mac)? If you do, you can try browsing to my.arlo.com, and adding it from the browser interface.

cavedoc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for responding.

I turned off security on the 2.4 network (with much trepidation, but I live over a half mile from nearest neighbor) and the phone application was able to "see" the 2.4 network, but the hub still will not connect.

I'm starting to think the hub is defective because in addition to my inability to connect, the flashing lights on the hub do not correspond to what the app says they're doing. Also, when I tried to do the reset as recommended by support, after following the instructions, the lights did not blink 5 times.

I tried another Samsung phone I found, but with same result. My wife will be home with her I Phone in a couple of days, but I've come to believe the problem is the hub because the connection goes apparently normal up until the hub is trying to connect to the router and after trying to connect for a couple of minutes, says, "Cannot connect to network".

I tried to do the connection with my desktop, but the connection is only available via a mobile device.

Support has not responded to my multiple requests for help and I am losing patience,

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cavedoc wrote:

I turned off security on the 2.4 network

That won't work, Arlo devices need WPA2 (AES) set for the network security.  

Not sure why your phone isn't seeing your normal home network - are you hiding the network SSID in your router settings???

Also, if you are using MAC address security or similar access controls, try disabling them during onboarding.

cavedoc
Aspirant
Aspirant

By God and electrons!

That worked!

I turned on the WFA security and it hooked right up.

Thank You so much!

You've solved the problem.