Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Mode won't appear in Android app

star_boy_oz
Star
Star

The mode tab won't appear on our Android apps any more. The only tabs visible are now Devices and Library.

The Mode tab worked yesterday for me (Google Pixel 2), and for my wife this morning (Google Nexus 5).

I can log into https://arlo.netgear.com/#/modes and change the modes.

I have restarted my base station, and reinstalled the app. Why would the modes disappear during the day without us changing anything? Is this another server issue at your end? We've had this problem before with an Arlo outage causing hours of confusion, and no notification of downtime.

364 REPLIES 364
mmicsky
Guide
Guide
If you are on Oreo you can turn off updates on individual apps in the play store. Maybe you can do that as well on previous versions of Android as well?
Motionist
Guide
Guide

@mmicsky wrote:
If you are on Oreo you can turn off updates on individual apps in the play store. Maybe you can do that as well on previous versions of Android as well?

Works on Nougat as well - from the play store select the tree dots and disable auto update. Thanks

Still need NetGear to ensure the resolution of this major incident. If all android users are affected its critical - yet we see no information from NetGear

pilot-rc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dburden
Initiate
Initiate
Me too... I've tried resting the main box, uninstalling the app twice. Nothing. I have a droid, buddy has apple his still has the mode, as of yesterday. HELP
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Netgear is aware and working on it

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Netgear knows and is working on it

Morse is faster than texting!
VirtuallyMark
Star
Star

I first noticed that there was no mode tab on any of my android devices last when I went to change modes.  I now see that I am not alone. The problem appears to be widespread making the system virtually worthless for security.  The reason I purchased the system!  How soon is Netgear going to rectify the issue?

AQUAT
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there an expected fix date or a place we can review the progress?  

Also, how do we report problems to Netgear?  I find it difficult to navigate their Support site.

1sniper
Aspirant
Aspirant
No mode tab on droid but still works on ipad
star_boy_oz
Star
Star
>>> How soon is Netgear going to rectify the issue?

Well, there's a few things we know.
Netgear won't be rolling back to the last functional version of the app while they debug the mangled version, as any company that cared about their customers would.
They won't be making an official statement anywhere with credible timeframes for resolution.
They won't implement a downtime or fault service to alert customers when faults occur so they don't waste time trying to resolve issues outside their control.

They probably will just bumble along and expect customers to download APK files from third-party websites, install them despite the risks, and think that this is acceptable behaviour from a company. Oh, and they might fix the issue, but don't hold your breath waiting.
paulmike3
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm socializing the issue to media outlets. Maybe some bad press would speed up resolution of this critical issue.
maqs
Star
Star

This isn´t solved yet!? This must be a top priority? Any official announcements from Netgear? 

FridaCat
Guide
Guide

I'm still having the same issue, Android on Pixel 2 XL app, no "mode" tab.  I spoke to Arlo support a few days ago, and they seemed unaware of the issue at the time, but said they would escalate it.  Wish there was another way to control the geofencing feature, but support says there is not.

mmicsky
Guide
Guide

If its any consolation the geofencing feature only worked 50% of the time correctly anyway

Smiley Tongue 

1173CL
Tutor
Tutor

I too hit the wall with direction to app store and then go direct to web site which says not authorized to perform this function. I believe it is based on if you have a paid subscription and not accessible if on the free account. Go to your account settings to see your applicable service allowance.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope. Works fine on the free plan. Tell the app to use the desktop version. You may need to enter the URL again to get it to work. Just tried it here using Chrome on Android 7 with no issue.

Jessie10
Aspirant
Aspirant
My mode tab is missing as well. I would like to know when it will be fix and also if I log on a desk top I can see the mode tab. Just missing off my phone.
coolsat
Aspirant
Aspirant

The "mode" in the android app on my wife's and my Pixel XL 2 suddenly disappeared 2 days ago and I have done everything to reset stuff all over but no use. When will Netgear fix this?

1173CL
Tutor
Tutor
Your guess is as good as mine, frustrating. I've filed a support ticket, been assigned a #, received a copy of my chat with support that has been forwarded to Arlo engineers. Have not had a response. Also, I feel it's very unprofessional to not list on Arlo site a simple notice that they are aware of issues and working on it and hope to have it resolved shortly. It would at least lessen the number of comments as to issue if they would just own up to it and not heads in the sand.
jack007
Tutor
Tutor
Sad to say this but I doubt we are going to get any kind of answer anytime soon from Netgear..
I wish it weren't so, but by far one of the worst customer service I've seen from a major company.
If it never gets fixed I won't be a bit surprised.
paulmike3
Apprentice
Apprentice
Official response below. Cause it's too hard to actually go to where your customers are complaining (here) and tell them yourself. SMH

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Stories/MODES-Tab-Unavailable-on-Android/m-p/1566934
Kmcross
Initiate
Initiate
The most important button on the Arlo app is missing. What's the use in having cameras if you can't activate them for when you're away?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Arlo Customers,

We are aware of a reported issue for some customers where the MODE tab is not available in the Arlo Android App. We are actively investigating this issue and working to resolve it.

We apologize for the inconvenience,

Arlo Team

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Stories/MODES-Tab-Unavailable-on-Android/m-p/1566934

Chary1
Initiate
Initiate

I too lost the mode feature on both of my andriod devices earlier this week.  I am pretty savy with these things, so I reset the base station, deleted and reinstalled the applications, reset my gateway, re booted the base station, nothing worked.  After some time on a call with netgear they finally admiteed they had a issue and told me to wait a day while they sorted it out.  Two days later and I am still unable able to control the modes from my phone.  I live chatted with customer service again today and they again finally admitted they have a bug  but can not tell me when it will be resolved.  Mewhile, they suggest I controll my system from the web site, which I can do but is not an acceptacle way to control this sytem.  They really should notify us when they have an issue so we dont chase our tails for days trying to reset the nextwork.  Fingers crossed they resolve this soon!

FridaCat
Guide
Guide

Thank you for finally acknowledging the issue.  When it's a known issue, the sooner the better.