Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
aweezy127
Follower
Follower
Has anyone figured out how to use the USB port to power the camera, yet still allow placement outside?

I can plug it in to a typical phone charger and it records and streams but I can't close the bottom with a wire in place.
7 REPLIES 7
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy
That should be only used to reset the cam if its non-responsive..
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Lower voltage seen will have to increase current to cover power drawn by cam... maybe not a good idea to try and power thru the port

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Sincity
Guide
Guide

TomMac wrote:

Lower voltage seen will have to increase current to cover power drawn by cam... maybe not a good idea to try and power thru the port

[img]https://community.netgear.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/1263i1618967173F0F4E7/image-size/small?v=... [/img]

What is the long term ramification? I plan on plugging it in this way in my vacation home that I only use 2-4 times a year. No foot traffic while I'm gone (I hope) so minimal use other than when I want to check in.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What is the long term ramification?

Just that the port may burn out, and of course warranty is out.  If not worried, go for it.

Sincity
Guide
Guide

TomMac wrote:

What is the long term ramification?

Just that the port may burn out, and of course warranty is out.  If not worried, go for it.

I read somewhere (you also contributed to that thread) where the camera battery power is wired in parrallel and will run on a bank of two cells. If other wi-fi enabled cameras can run on a 5V USB (those even have mics and speakers), why can't the Arlo? Mind you, I do not have an electrical background.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If other wi-fi enabled cameras can run on a 5V USB , why can't the Arlo? Mind you, I do not have an electrical background.

As I said...may.  It depends all on what curcuitry is linked to the port.  The port may have not been designed for power but more of a way to access the eproms in the camera ( to update/reset software ) .