Live stream delay on 3/10 cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
tomtorre626
Tutor
Tutor

I'm experiencing the same problem, it seems to take forever (1-2 minutes) to see Live stream on 3 of my 10 cameras that are installed.  I upgraded my internet service from 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps and even purchased & installed a Netgear AC5300 Nighthawk X8 Wireless Router to try to improve my wireless range.  I have come to depend on this Arlo system to view live streams as needed but after waiting so long for a live feed it then say something to the effect of "camera seems to have lost its connection..." with that I just REBOOT the whold system and that usually reconnects All the Cameras again.  This system was purchased after this home was burglarized last year and we come to expect more from this system.  We have all the latest firmware on all the cameras and the base station but still the performance of this system is lacking.  Why does it take SO long to go to Live steaming, by time these cameras go Live then Object to be Observed has already left the property, ie: FEDEX Delivery etc.  This problem happens either using a Chrome, IE or Opera browser as well as the Arlo Android App on a Nexus 6p running Android 7.0 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A second base would definitely be recommended to increase coverage distance.  Any plan, free or paid, supports multiple bases - it's the number of total cameras you have that's the limit.  Note that the cameras on one base can't be used in rules for the other - they're separate entities.  Hopefully the merging will be supported at some point.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tomtorre626,

You indicate that 3 of 10 cameras are affected. This implies that it could be a connection issue between these 3 cameras and the base station. WiFi interference or poor signal strength due to range could be the cause.

What does the WiFi signal strength indicator show for the affected cameras? You could isolate the issue further by swapping the location of an affected camera with one that is behaving correctly and see if you still get the same issue.

JamesC

tomtorre626
Tutor
Tutor
James C,
I relocated the base station 20 ft closer to the driveway cameras that are giving me trouble. Right now, 8 cameras have 3 bars of WiFi signal (2 basement cameras have 2 bars). While connecting to the outside cameras have improved I still get "unable to play video" most of the time when I click on LIVE. I have swapped out the driveway camera with another one, I just don't know what else I can do to increase performance. I have 200 Mbit Internet service and a Netgear Nighthawk x8 router, I think my infrastructure is pretty sound - any suggestions are most appreciated
Tom
tomtorre626
Tutor
Tutor
JamesC
Does it make sense for me to purchase a 2nd Arlo base station to optimize performance to a 10 camera system? My home is 3 story, 5000 sf & about 55 ft long. Can 2 base stations operated under the same Service Plan, I'm not sure how that setup would work.
Thanks again,
Tom
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A second base would definitely be recommended to increase coverage distance.  Any plan, free or paid, supports multiple bases - it's the number of total cameras you have that's the limit.  Note that the cameras on one base can't be used in rules for the other - they're separate entities.  Hopefully the merging will be supported at some point.