Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

tmorris9
Tutor
Tutor

The ful message is "Geofenceng needs an internet connection. Open the Arlo app when your connection becomes available."

I have used the Geofencing since I got the camera about 1.5 years ago and it's always worked flawlessly but lately I often get the message above on my phone when I am out.

Also lately I will arrive home and when I enter the house I the camera sees me and notifies me of motion and it will do this until I open the app.

I am not sure what has changed but I don't like it. It was perfect for me before.

I have the camera in my home office and no one should be in there while I am gone and it was perfect because if someone snuck into my office I would catch them in the act. It was pretty rare for it to happen so it was just working in the background and I never had to think of it.

But now almost every day I get this notice and then it catches me on camera while I am in my office and keeps sending notifications until I open the app.

Now, I understand the app needs to be running but it should be in the background it's just not in the foreground (that would make the rest of the phone useless.

Any ideas on why this is and what the cure might be?

iphone 7+ running latest iOS, Original model Arlo and original model base station.

P.S. just checked and "Allow background app Refresh" is turned on and is on for the Arlo app.

101 REPLIES 101
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Sounds like something to do with the mobile data and/or location services on your phone. Have you tried restarting your phone?

tmorris9
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I actually reset my phone (for a different reason) and I still get the message.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Andoid OS 7 is fairly new and does some optimizing as to apps sleeping and battery...check settings on these as it may be similar on IOS

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
DaveHe
Initiate
Initiate

I'm getting the same thing in Android 7 now - it's sort of driving me crazy because the notfication can't even be swiped away. Sometimes I get the notice even if I'm sure there is internet 😞

Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am getting the same thing on my Andriod and the only way to get rid of the notification when I am away from home is restarting my phone everytime this appears..

astipe
Tutor
Tutor

I too see a persistant notification that says, "Geofencing need an Internet connection. Open the Arlo app when your connection becomes available" which just started appearing sometime in the past week. I see it whether I am home or away. Though I did find that if I turn off wifi the notification goes away. After I turn wifi back on, the notification will stay cleared for some time but eventually comes back. 

Before this notification I had a persistant (and false) "You are not connected to the internet" notification even though I could connect to the camera, view/change the settings and live feed, and was receiving notifications as expected. I have not seen this notification since I started seeing the "Geofencing need an Internet connection. Open the Arlo app when your connection becomes available" notification.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Another user has provided me with a screenshot of the exact verbiage of this new error message and I have forwarded this topic to engineering for further investigation. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

jschweda
Tutor
Tutor

I receive this error as well.  Even though my phone is connected to the internet I find if I put the phone in airplane mode and then take it out of airplane mode it fixes it for a little while.  Not need to restart your phone, but it is still very irritating.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

I get the message also & it's not notifying both our smartphones when we leave our base location.

WSP-ATX
Initiate
Initiate

Up until mid-March 2017, my Arlo camera system had been working perfectly, including geofencing feature, which was awesome.  Around that time both Android and Arlo updated their versions, and everything turned ugly.  At first, it was the constant "Arlo isn't connected to the Internet".  And then recently this week, "Geofencing needs an internet connection".  Additionally, my geofencing status will change from "Home" to "Away", and back again while in my home.  I don't know what has changed, but it is very disappointing.  I have done the basics like re-boot routers, re-installed the applications, and verified my wifi signal.  Even when it says "Arlo isn't connected to the internet", I can livestream the cameras.  So clearly, that isn't the case!  Nothing seems to improve the situation.  I surmise that Arlo app hasnt kept up with the recent changes of the Android platform on a Samsung S7 phone.

I used to recommend the Arlo security solution to friends, neighbors, and colleagues, now I regret it, since they are having the same issues too.  The annoyance has driven my wife to completely remove Arlo from her Android phone.  I haven't given up quite yet...but i am getting there.  Unless Netgear can get this resolved, I feel like I wasted $200+.  I am no longer recommending the product as a security solution.

Netgear, please offer a fix soon!

Stungib
Aspirant
Aspirant
I keep getting this on my iPhone 7 Plus as well. All software is up to date and background refresh is on as well as allow data.
kenspencer
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue here. Very, very irritating. Makes the geofencing unusable.

ShawTeam
Tutor
Tutor
Same for my wife and I. iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 Plus. Fully up to date for app and iOS. Used to work flawlessly, but now I get the message that it needs an internet connection which it has. It used to tell immediately when the last one of us left the house in the morning. Now the messages come in at random times. I can be home for almost an hour sometimes before it recognizes I am home. Or I get notice my wife has left the zone so I call to talk to her on her drive but she has already been at work for half an hour. Annoying!
nlen83
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am also experiencing CONSTANT issues with arlo and geofencing, especially since the new android update. Its completely broken. No internet error, back and forth home away home away home away....cameras constantly recording. If anyone figures out a fix I would really appreciate some help.
houdini13
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues on my android 7 galaxy s7 edge phone.  Geofencing is completely unusable now and it worked great before android 7.  It is constantly switching between home/away mode and I get the 'needs internet connection' error message multiple times a day.  My netgear customer service experience has been terrible and I feel awful for recommending arlo to friends and family.  They have updated the app several times and still haven't addressed this issue.  Extremely disappointed.

elljae05
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am ALSO having this issue. had constant issues in my old home and ended up deleting the app during the time we ha packed away teh sameras. now we are in the new home, set the cameras up and the issue is back. it goes away when i turn geofencing off. but anytime geofencing is on i get the "needs internet conenction" and the phone switches between "home" and "away" with out me moving or changing locations.

for refrence i am running Arlo app on a Galaxy s8+. both arlo app and android are up to date

tmorris9 wrote:

The ful message is "Geofenceng needs an internet connection. Open the Arlo app when your connection becomes available."

I have used the Geofencing since I got the camera about 1.5 years ago and it's always worked flawlessly but lately I often get the message above on my phone when I am out.

Also lately I will arrive home and when I enter the house I the camera sees me and notifies me of motion and it will do this until I open the app.

I am not sure what has changed but I don't like it. It was perfect for me before.

I have the camera in my home office and no one should be in there while I am gone and it was perfect because if someone snuck into my office I would catch them in the act. It was pretty rare for it to happen so it was just working in the background and I never had to think of it.

But now almost every day I get this notice and then it catches me on camera while I am in my office and keeps sending notifications until I open the app.

Now, I understand the app needs to be running but it should be in the background it's just not in the foreground (that would make the rest of the phone useless.

Any ideas on why this is and what the cure might be?

iphone 7+ running latest iOS, Original model Arlo and original model base station.

P.S. just checked and "Allow background app Refresh" is turned on and is on for the Arlo app.

ArloScott
Aspirant
Aspirant

The same thing has started appearing for me. The only way to get rid of it is by restarting the phone, but then it comes back. Device: Galaxy S8, with Android 7.0

Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice

ALL of the Arlo support has been slow at best.. Wait another 6 months and they should have it figured out by then

jreye1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too am getting this annoying message on my new Samsung Galaxy S8 running Nougat

cricenog
Guide
Guide

Same issue, any updates? I just switched from iOS to Android and got the S8, the Android app unfortunately is horrible, boarderline disgraceful..

Thanks,

nlen83
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am on an s7 fyi, also waiting for any kind of help with the problem. Its very sad.
Brooksben11
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here on both a Nexus 6p and Nexus 5x. Clearly sounds like an issue of Netgear not keeping up with Android versions. I like the system overall but it does eliminate the convenience of geofencing as a feature...
cricenog
Guide
Guide
Just hope it's fixed before there's an "incident" on my property... I just switched to Android from ios, got a S8
Neil79
Initiate
Initiate

Same problem here with Android app & Samsung Galaxy S6... My internet connection is working fine either on wifi at home or 4G when away yet I enable Geofencing and get the "Geofencing needs an internet connection..." notification that cannot be dismissed.

If I sent the mode to 'Disarmed' the notification disappears but whilst in 'Geofencing' mode I've got zero confidence that the system is working correctly as it's told me it's set to home whilst I've been away and away when I'm home!!

@JamesC - Can you please provide an update on this from your engineering team as it was passed to them around a month ago but there's been no fix or update.

Thanks.