Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is there a way to quickly switch OFF the cameras? Like on the older models with the flip switch?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
tivoboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'd like to be able to switch them off completely, mostly to save battery for longer periods of time?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No way to do this short of opening the battery door.  The batteries will last a very long time if not detecting motion and/or recording or using live view.  TomMac says he's had OEM batteries in a couple of cameras that get little use from back in February that still show full.

tivoboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

thanks for the tip..I'll run some long term tests.

I DID like to also shut them off just to be sure they couldn't possibly be recording or viewing when not in use, but I guess that isn't possibly again other than removing the battery.

If one does remove the battery does one have to do the whole re-pairing process again?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope but it solves nothing since battery drain while not recording is nil. Removing batteries would be similar to having them deplete and not replace them for some time.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

thanks for the tip..I'll run some long term tests.

I DID like to also shut them off just to be sure they couldn't possibly be recording or viewing when not in use, but I guess that isn't possibly again other than removing the battery.

Yes, J is correct... I have 2 cameras that have have OEM batteries install since 2/24 still showing full. 

They are used very little for viewing, but more only when out , then they are turned on for motioned detect along with the others. If I had to guess, I think the time on the cameras might be about 4 mins per week/30 secs per day.

When in sleep mode, not active, they consume very little power.  As to concerns re recording when not in use, I just have 1 cam in a sensivitve area, but since they are wireless, I rotate the cam to the wall if in the room..... any other room the nsa can watch all they want! 🙂

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------