Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
CarmenO
Aspirant
Aspirant
I currently have 5 cameras and a premier account. I can have up to 15 cameras on one base. I just purchased another 4 pack that comes with a base. Is there a benefit to using two bases to cover 9 cameras or is it just as good to sync them all to my first base. Wondering if the cameras would work better or more effectively in some way with two bases.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As long as the extender has the min thru-put upload of 1 MB

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I just purchased another 4 pack that comes with a base. Is there a benefit to using two bases to cover 9 cameras or is it just as good to sync them all to my first base. Wondering if the cameras would work better or more effectively in some way with two bases.

There are two main reasons why additional bases will help;

1) cover more area - a single base has a max distance range of 300ft ( or about 1800 sq ft )... if two bases are used you can cover a max of 2x that or 3600 sqft

( of course this is without obstructions or interfernce under best conditons,... if coverage overlaps which will be more likely, then less area )

No diff than other wifi, if a large home put a base at each end and link the closest cameras to each base

2)The max number of streaming cameras (at this time) is 4.  If you have 9 cameras, only 4/9 will works at the same time.

A second base will allow 4 more cameras. or 4/9 at the same time.

CarmenO
Aspirant
Aspirant
So if I have the first base plugged into my router can I plug the second into a wifi extender at the other end of the house? That would lengthen the amount of coverage area as well as allowing 8/9 cameras would work at the same time. Can I plug it into an extender assuming the extender has a ethernet plug
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That should work fine.  Others here have reported doing this successfully.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As long as the extender has the min thru-put upload of 1 MB

KyleF
Tutor
Tutor

I understood you can have up to 5 cameras per base station. That's what I have and it works fine. so if you have two base stations, you should be able to operate 10 cameras with no problem. I read where you can have up to 15 cameras (3 base stations) per account.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

KyleF wrote:

I understood you can have up to 5 cameras per base station. That's what I have and it works fine. so if you have two base stations, you should be able to operate 10 cameras with no problem. I read where you can have up to 15 cameras (3 base stations) per account.

Yes max 5 cameras per base on basic ( free ) plan.... to have 2 bases you have to either use 2 different accounts/emails or upgrade you service plan.

Next level is 10 cams on one base, last level is 3 bases, 15 cams all on one account.

XipperPDX
Guide
Guide

I am curious how multiple bases would work, I was told by support that the various problems I am having with my new systems is because I need to forward ports 80 and 443 to the base, but how would that possibly work if you have more than 1 base as you can't forward to mutiple devices?  Is it really that their support personell are on crack and this isn't necessary, or is their "design" so bad that they didn't account for having more than 1 base on the same network behind a single public IP address?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I am curious how multiple bases would work, I was told by support that the various problems I am having with my new systems is because I need to forward ports 80 and 443 to the base,

Normally those ports are opened on the router but sometimes can be closed ...one base or three it's the same.

Both bases would plug into the ethernets ports on your router but be assigned to the same account so would all be accessible with one log-in.

XipperPDX
Guide
Guide

TomMac wrote:

Normally those ports are opened on the router but sometimes can be closed ...one base or three it's the same.

Both bases would plug into the ethernets ports on your router but be assigned to the same account so would all be accessible with one log-in.

While I agree, I was explicitly told by support that I had to *forward* the ports to the Base.  This is only possible for 1 IP/device on your network.  To me it seems that their "support" is clueless and doesn't actually know what they are talking about as it did nothing to mitigate the problems I experience.