Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is it worth it to update?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Oziosborne
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had the pro2 setup for several years now and my main complaint has been the lack of range on motion detection. My truck was broken into in my driveway in front of a camera that didn't record because they only reach out about 10ft with their detection (yes I've tried all the tips over the years but it's consistent across six cameras in different locations). With the motion AI available with a subscription, would that extend its detection range? I was considering upgrading to pro4's if they're better at detecting as well, but I don't want to spend that money for the same result. Basically, I want something that can detect a car driving past a driveway on an average suburban home... can the subscription or upgraded cameras manage that? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The range hasn't changed much over the years since it's all up to the PIR sensors which max out at 20-25 feet for people. The newer cameras do use dual PIRs (I believe) so that may have some small advantage. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

If you have a window overlooking the driveway you could try using an arloQ that uses video motion detection, you may have  to install a infrared spot lamp for night vision.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:

If you have a window overlooking the driveway you could try using an arloQ that uses video motion detection, you may have  to install a infrared spot lamp for night vision.

Or the newer Essential Indoor (though that will need a subscription).

Window reflections will likely be a problem at night (speaking from experience, as my own Essential Indoor is aimed through a window).