Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Is Arlo right for me...haven’t bought yet...what model do I get?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Lowtech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to monitor my home and garage from 75 miles away for when I travel and am away from home.  I have a Verizon Orbic router there and Alexa runs ok with it.  Is that good enough internet connection to run Arlo camera monitoring?  How do Arlo cameras hook into my Orbic at the home location and then hook into my apartment’s WiFi 75 miles away from my home and cameras so I can monitor?   Used to have ADT a different home and it was hard wired to the landline phone so this internet connection is new to me and I don’t know how it will work for me when my cameras are 75 miles away from where I am.  It was extremely stressful trying to get Alexa to sync to my Orbic btw because of being low-tech.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

How fast is the internet speed at the remote location?  You can test this using a PC (www.speedtest.net) or on a phone (install the free Ookla app).

Note the internet upload speed is more critical for Arlo products than the download speed - so give us both numbers.

Lowtech
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is already too complicated.  My PC is old , Windows 7, and not supported.  Will an Apple laptop do or do I have to have a PC for ARLO

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lowtech wrote:

My PC is old , Windows 7, and not supported.  Will an Apple laptop do or do I have to have a PC for ARLO

Macs work (and so should your old PC).  So will iPhones, iPads, and Android phones/tablets.

Lowtech
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok.  I did speedtest.net on my PC at the house where I want Arlo.  The PC is wirelessly connected to my Verizon router called Orbic.  I ran the check and my download speed on the PC is 30.33 and my upload speed is 13.84 Mbps.  Do you think that is sufficient speed for Arlo???

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, that should be fine.