Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Intermittent Amber to Green to Amber Internet Light on VMB3010 and VMB4000. Network issue?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ching0001
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having new issues with two arlo base stations (VMB3010 and VMB4000);  They get an internet connection (second light goes green) and all is fine;  Then about every 1-2 mins the green light turns amber/yellow.   Then it reverts back to green for about a minute then it reverts to solid amber.

It renders the attached cameras (for which i have 5 attached to each base station) useless b/c they cannot attach to the base station while amber.  I also expect this is killing my battery life as i have received countless battery low notices from the cameras.

I suspect it might be another device on my network wanting to grab their respective IP addresses.  I use FING to see what is on my network so i know what IPs have been assigned.  Last week i added a new security device to my network and then removed it.  I am wondering if i am at the point of doing a full reset of one of the base stations to see if that will help.  I'd rather give one of the base stations a new static IP address based on respective MAC addresses and be done with it all.  

Any suggestions before the experiments begin?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ching0001 wrote:

I suspect it might be another device on my network wanting to grab their respective IP addresses. 

An IP address conflict could of course create this issue.  Since the bases use DHCP, this would mean there is a problem with the way your network is set up (perhaps static addresses are configured in some devices that are within the DHCP address range?)

One option is to reserve an IP address for each base in the router (most routers have that feature).

Also, what is the path from the two bases to the router?  Are they directly connected, or are the going through a wifi extender, powerline networking, or through intermediate switches?

You also might want to run a ping-based probe on a PC that checks connectivity from your router to the amazon cloud.  Gping is one tool that could be used to do this.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gping/

While you are at it, you could also probe the connection from that PC to the base - seeing if ping fails when the internet LED goes amber.