Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
paulg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Is it possible to install the camera system where the local WiFi network is not one I own?  The WiFi system is a private commercial network.  I know the WiFi password, and have access to an Ethernet port, but there is network security enabled so the IP address of the camera on the local WiFi network may not be visible from outside of the building - I'm not saying the IP address is not visible, just that it may not be due to common security procedures.

Can I install the camera under these conditions?

Thanks,

Paul

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Thinking the base must talk both ways to the cloud and back and if your network is secured to prevent same it prob won't work.

So end result, I'm thinking no  ( all depends how well the network is locked down )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"It depends." (TM)

The issue isn't whether the IP address is visible from the outside since it's all "push" from the inside of the network to the servers.  However, there could be port blocking going on that would prevent operation.  In particular, ports 80 and 443 are needed (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-ports-do-I-need-to-keep-open-for-Arlo-to-w...  If one or both of those outgoing ports are blocked, it won't work.  A quick conversation with your network admin would be useful.

paulg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.

Does knowing that I have Internet access to http protocol sites and https protocol logins (ie, yahoo mail) tell us anything about whether these ports (80 & 443) are blocked?  The network administrator is a contracted company that I don't have easy access to - I can contact them, but its a hassle.

paulg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible that sites are blocked, not ports.  It appears you're getting through to netgear.com since you're posting here or are you using a device not behind the company firewall?

paulg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I posted the original query from behind the firewall (today I'm posting from home).  Does this tell us anything?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, not really.  Since we don't know what the servers are we're sending videos to (we may be able to tell using a network sniffer or the utilities on certain routers) it may be that the blocking could be at an IP address level, specific protocols, etc.  Netgear has said only that two ports are needed but hasn't provided what the servers are (and I'm not sure I want them to be public about it).

The best answers come from whoever is managing the firewall at your site.  Possibly a quick email to them with as many details as you can provide would help.