Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Included wall mounts ok for outside use?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

I bought a 3rd party wall mount for some of my Arlo's to mount outside my home, but find that the Included Disc/ball mount is so much easier to attach (and remove), especially when it's time to change the batteries (which I haven't had to do yet).

Has anyone had any problems with weather/rain/elements with the included disc mounts when using it outside?  The magnet seems strong enough to avoid blowing during heavy winds.   thx

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No problems here since February.  Just make sure that the mounts have to be slightly forced over the screw so they don't move around.  I do this by trying to put it on and adjusting the screw about 1/8 turn at a time until I'm satisfied.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:

No problems here since February.  Just make sure that the mounts have to be slightly forced over the screw so they don't move around.  I do this by trying to put it on and adjusting the screw about 1/8 turn at a time until I'm satisfied.

I had problem with one... drilled a small hole so I could get the screwdriver to the screw.... it's real tight now but prob not necessary in most cases if you do as above.

The older units ( vuezone ) had some foam stick-ons...So, I used some 3M double foam tape on another that I knew I wasn't going to move.... that one is never coming down

Indoors, someone has mentioned using the special foam tape (3m command tape strips) that stick very well but pulls away with no damage

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I DO NOT trust the ball mount.  I also bought a third party outdoor mount (1/4 t20) and secured my other zone that uses the provided ball mount, with a self made teathering device.  All takes is one drop, and that camera is done.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming the mount is properly attached to a surface, I don't see any problem with the ball mount holding the camera. The magnet is quite strong and my videos haven't wavered a millimeter. It won't survive a tornado but then I don't know that a screw mount would help, either.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Assuming the mount is properly attached to a surface, I don't see any problem with the ball mount holding the camera. The magnet is quite strong and my videos haven't wavered a millimeter. It won't survive a tornado but then I don't know that a screw mount would help, either.

......that one time a bird (that weighs just enough, decides your camera is perfect place to perch.......  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hula_Rock wrote:

.....that one time a bird (that weighs just enough, decides your camera is perfect place to perch.......  

If your really concerned... a simple short 1/4-20 bolt into the threaded hole and a short piece of fishing line from there to the mount screw will prevent it from going far ( prob like you did )

Morse is faster than texting!
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Hula_Rock wrote:

.....that one time a bird (that weighs just enough, decides your camera is perfect place to perch.......  

If your really concerned... a simple short 1/4-20 bolt into the threaded hole and a short piece of fishing line from there to the mount screw will prevent it from going far ( prob like you did )

1/4 t20 stainless steel bolt, with insulated braided wire attached to house with deck screw.....