Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Userone
Follower
Follower

I just opened up my Arlo and I noticed on my cameras, on the top seams and around the sync button there are gaps. Is this ok or normal? I'm concerned about water getting inside if the camera is outside. Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
dhcl604
Tutor
Tutor

I was wondering about that myself. I don't see any rubber O - rings around the battery cover area either.

snip3rboy
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Userone ,

The outer shell is cosmetic and the inner shell is the weatherproofing.

The gaps shown in your image will not affect weatherproofing.

ambient
Guide
Guide

See my post in the Troubleshooting forum.  Had Arlo out in on/off rainy weather for three days and one camera failed...now completely unresponsive.  Verified it's not a battery or base station issue.  So I would take that weatherproof claim with some suspicion.  But it worked very well in a protected environment.

jcdonhauser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got my Arlo.  Concerned about weatherproofing too.  I saw the post about "internals" being weatherproof but the battery compartment definitely is not.  All other outdoor sensors I own (e.g. temperature sensors) have a rubber ring around the battery cover.  This does not.  Just a plastic-on-plastic seal.  When the camera is in an upright position, water may run off.  When inverted I'm not sure.  They need a rubber seal.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jcdonhauser,

Welcome to the community! There is a rubber seal on the battery compartment door, I think maybe you were just expecting it to be in a different spot. Please refer to the image below, I have outlined the location in red:

Arlo rubber seal.jpg

JamesC

jcdonhauser
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC ... You are absolutely correct.  I'm an engineer and it's just in my genes to scutinize everything. The cameras appear to be well designed and manufactured.  I plan to install all 5 outside starting this weekend.  Thanks.