Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
drjimmy64
Follower
Follower

How long do  Tenergy CR123 Batteries last from the day you purchase - do these batteries eventually need to be replaced due to the number of times you've charged them  ?   Or just because over time,  they lose their "power" regardless of how many times you charge  ?    I guess it will become pretty obvious if it goes from 2 months to 2 weeks between charges -  but for now,  I think i am getting 1 - 1 1/2 month of power from my 3 cameras 

I "think" I bought the rechargeable's  in 2017 -   so in terms of   "rechargeable"  batteries,  what is the obvious sign -  charging dates becoming closer and closer ?      I "think"  it's probably a Month between charges for the front yard .   I am really drawing a blank -  I never really noticed and remembered the times before,  I just check now and then for the battery icon showing the % of power left.       I just don't recall if when I first bought them and the charger if the batteries lasted say - 3 months - and now 3 years later only last 1 month -  then eventually down to weeks,  days....   

Also I guess I am asking is it important to swap them out every few years ?   Or just leave them alone of they are working fine.   

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drjimmy64 wrote:

do these batteries eventually need to be replaced due to the number of times you've charged them  ?   

Yes, their capacity will drop over time.  Though Tenergy does say they can be recharged ~500 times: https://power.tenergy.com/rechargeable-battery-knowledge-base/ Other sources say 300-400 for NIMH batteries generally.  Either way, that is a long time for batteries that are being charged every couple of months.

@drjimmy64 wrote:

Also I guess I am asking is it important to swap them out every few years ?   Or just leave them alone if they are working fine.   

I'm in the "leave them alone if they are working fine" camp.  If you do see corrosion or swelling, you should replace them.  And of course replace them if the capacity drops to an unacceptable level, or if they fail to hold a charge.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS...

I add the date of battery changed to the Camera name so it's easy to track how long they last

do this by edit of the name.  exp;   Rear Yard ( 01-20 )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------