Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How far is motion detection?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Anastasia
Aspirant
Aspirant
I installed the camera in my patio overlooking the driveway. So unless someone is hot on my patio there is no motion detection. I need it to be detected as someone walks by 5 feet and also as far as 20 feet. How do I set it? Possible to do it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anastasia
Aspirant
Aspirant
Schorschi, with all respect , why would it be wrong? How a moving human body differs from a moving car? Temperatures? Molecular contain? How would such camera would detect the difference? It is said nowhere that cameras are for only for people detection. And yes, I am on a look out for a certain car.
Anyway, I reset the camera by removing batteries. All is good. All of my drive by cars are detected. I have some more research to do though. Obviously, too much traffic would kill my batteries.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The max range is prob about 20 ft...( for people , tho reflection of IR from cars will be much more )

Try and minimize the coverage of the camera to make it perform better and having subject cross the view if possible. 

There is also a sensitivity adjustment under the edit in Mode

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Anastasia
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried sensitivity 20, 40, 80, 100. I don't get motion detection as a car drives by, again only myself in my patio. What do I do wrong? How to change the coverage of the camera? By positioning or there is a setting to do?
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Anastasia wrote:
I tried sensitivity 20, 40, 80, 100. I don't get motion detection as a car drives by, again only myself in my patio. What do I do wrong? How to change the coverage of the camera? By positioning or there is a setting to do?

If you're trying to use Arlo Wirefree cameras to record cars driving by, you got the wrong system.

Arlo Wirefree cameras are meant to react to bodies that emit infrared radiation from up to 20 ft away.

Anastasia
Aspirant
Aspirant
Schorschi, with all respect , why would it be wrong? How a moving human body differs from a moving car? Temperatures? Molecular contain? How would such camera would detect the difference? It is said nowhere that cameras are for only for people detection. And yes, I am on a look out for a certain car.
Anyway, I reset the camera by removing batteries. All is good. All of my drive by cars are detected. I have some more research to do though. Obviously, too much traffic would kill my batteries.
e-mathieu
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

What is the sensibility recommandation to avoir any pet (cat) detection ?

Tks for your help.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

e-mathieu wrote:

Hello,

What is the sensibility recommandation to avoir any pet (cat) detection ?

Tks for your help.

Cats a re different sizes... but In order for my system to work all the time I couldn't eliminate the cat ( 9 lbs ) setting it off.

But what may work for you is to elevate the camera's view so the cat on the floor isn't seen.... also then you can crop/zoom to tighten the picture

(remember the pan / zoom alone won't do it as the PIR detects the entire view even if cropped )

Morse is faster than texting!