Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How does a camera go from 76% battery to 8% overnight with no use?!?!

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
MarkN2016
Apprentice
Apprentice
It's a vacation home, 350 miles away. The camera looks over a front security gate. If it sees 1 motion event a month, it's a lot. It suddenly dropped from 76% battery to 8‰ overnight, sending a low battery report. No motion events at all to draw it down. What's up with that?
7 REPLIES 7
manfredz
Hero
Hero

One possibility would be that you had an internet or power outtage that caused the cam to use up all that battery power trying to reconnect with the base ststion without luck. 

MarkN2016
Apprentice
Apprentice
I should add I have a 2nd camera at the same house that is still showing 68% battery life remaining.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

That rules out my suggested cause.

Two other possibilities are bad batteries or poor contact.  If easy to get at cams, try swapping the batteries between cams and see what happens,

MarkN2016
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the reply! Next time I get to that home, I'll check those particular batteries with my multi-meter for voltage. It really perplexes me how they stayed with adequate voltage for 9 months (They are the original batteries... Like I said, they hardly ever see movement.) Then in one quick night go from a 3/4 charge to a nearly dead state for no apparent reason whatsoever.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

just a hunch here, but for them to have lasted 9 months they should have recorded almost nothing.

Netgear says batteries will last about 6 months, using a 5x 20 sec recording for that claim.

So if you were recording a bit maybe it wasn't the batteries but the battery meter reading where the problem lies

MarkN2016
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yeah, I'm wondering that too. That's why I'm going to look at each of the 4 batteries as for voltage to help figure it out.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BTW, the batteries are doa at about 2.75v-2.8v for the OEM cells.

My low use cameras that use 1-2 min a week run 7 months... 9 months is basicly not in use as all  (wow)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------