Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do I find the bitrate on a Mac. On a Windows box?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
IshmaelB
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have over a dozen Pro2 cameras.

I would like to know the easiest way to find the bitrate use in a video?

I am running MacOS High Sierra.

If I can get to a Windows machine, how do I find it there?

I don't want to buy any special software.

On the Mac, using Get Info provides nothing about bitrate or frame rate that I can see.

Thx

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@IshmaelB wrote:

I would like to know the easiest way to find the bitrate use in a video?

One aspect is that the encoding used by Arlo is variable bitrate (VBR), so the bitrate will depend on what is going on in the scene.  If a large part of the video doesn't have any motion, then the average bitrate will be quite low.

I'm wondering why are you interested in measuring this?  Is it because you want to make sure you have enough uplink bandwidth?  Or some other reason?

@IshmaelB wrote:

If I can get to a Windows machine, how do I find it there?

You can right-click on the file, and then look at "details".  You'll find the bitrate there.

There is also a freeware package called MediaInfoXP that will show it.  (There is a related package called MediaInfo, but it has a lot of adware - MediaInfoXP doesn't have any).

@IshmaelB wrote:

I am running MacOS High Sierra.

On the Mac, using Get Info provides nothing about bitrate or frame rate that I can see.

I'm not a Mac user, so I don't know much about Mac tools.  But QuickTime player will show you.  https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/view-information-about-a-movie-file-qtp65619118c/ma...

You can compute it from the file size and length of the clip in seconds.  Though that will be slightly high, since it includes the container (mp4) overhead.