Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do I add my new Arlo Pro system to my existing Arlo Wire-Free system?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
yellowglider
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an existing system with two Arlo Wire-Free cameras and the base station. I would like to add two (2) Arlo Pro cameras, and I'm wondering if I can do it directly using the existing base station. It seems like a waste of resources having to have 2 different base stations, or having to any case buy another one only to throw une away...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You can certainly​ add any of the wireless cameras to any of the bases. Any feature built into the camera will still work, regards of the base used. However, a second base can also be useful for a spare, future expansion, or for sale.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You can certainly​ add any of the wireless cameras to any of the bases. Any feature built into the camera will still work, regards of the base used. However, a second base can also be useful for a spare, future expansion, or for sale.
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

There are some advantages to having the newer Arlo Pro base.  It adds the ability to have local storage on the USB ports so you can have your recordings save to both the usb and to the cloud.  If your internet blips or goes down, the cameras will still record to local storage which you can't do on the first generation arlo base.  Also, the new base has a siren built in which can be triggered either via the cameras or manually thru the app.  That said, there's really no way at this time (that I've seen) to buy just the base, so you'd have to buy a 1 camera kit or something to get the new base but in my opinion, the local backup ability makes that option pretty appealing.  To each his own. 

yellowglider
Aspirant
Aspirant

kmiller8821 wrote:

There are some advantages to having the newer Arlo Pro base.  It adds the ability to have local storage on the USB ports so you can have your recordings save to both the usb and to the cloud.  If your internet blips or goes down, the cameras will still record to local storage which you can't do on the first generation arlo base.  Also, the new base has a siren built in which can be triggered either via the cameras or manually thru the app.  That said, there's really no way at this time (that I've seen) to buy just the base, so you'd have to buy a 1 camera kit or something to get the new base but in my opinion, the local backup ability makes that option pretty appealing.  To each his own. 

Thanks. It's just a little bothering that two months ago I spent some money on a 2 cameras + base kit, and now I have to buy another full kit (actually spending more because now the camers are better) and basically throw away the two months old base. I would think that Netgear had some kind of "return" policy for people the want to upgrade...

yellowglider
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

Thanks. The only reasonable option would be a sale, but who would actually want a base without cameras???...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
There are folks who want a second base to expand their she or to get better reception. eBay may be your best bet to sell.
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

yellowglider wrote:
Thanks. It's just a little bothering that two months ago I spent some money on a 2 cameras + base kit, and now I have to buy another full kit (actually spending more because now the camers are better) and basically throw away the two months old base. I would think that Netgear had some kind of "return" policy for people the want to upgrade...

I certainly can understand you feeling frustrated, but Arlo PRO was released in November so it should have already been out before you purchased the original Arlo.  A little research before the purchase really goes a long way but I'm not blaming you by any means.  I agree, there should be an upgrade path for the original base system to a newer base at the very least.  

Harleyhead
Aspirant
Aspirant

I AM TRYING TO SET-UP A 2ND BASE STATION WITH 4 CAMERAS. ANY HELP PLEASE!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
STOP SHOUTING! 🙂

Just use the Add Device button in the Devices tab to add the base and sync cameras to it.