Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
fightowensfight
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm thinking of getting the Arlo, but am not able to screw in the security mount in my property (inside or outside). I can probably figure out what to do inside, but unsure how to securely mount any of the available accessory mounts to painted wood outside in the elements. The area I've picked is somewhat covered, but it can still be hit with some rain every now and then depending on wind. 

I would be purchasing the 2 pack from Costco, which I believes includes the security mounts. The mount must be secure enough to handle the weight of the Arlo itself and the 4 CR123 batteries. 

Does such a screwless solution exist?

EDIT: I am aware of the indoor mount, but my application is for outdoor use. 

EDIT 2: Apparently, even the indoor mount requires that the base be screwed on to the wall. 

I think what I need is some sort of super adhesive that I can apply to something like the security mount that will be able to handle the weight of the mount, Arlo, and batteries. 

13 REPLIES 13
steve_t
Master Master
Master
The ceiling / table top mount can be seated on a flat surface. Not good if in a windy area or if at risk of external forces but it avoids the screws. Guess you could use some 3M Command adhesive strips to help secure it a little.
I also have a camera mounted outside on a metal pole that holds my satellite dish / aerial. The camera is magnetic so will stick to magnetic metal structures
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's also double-sided tape and Velcro (maybe the industrial stuff) that could be used.  It's possible that paint could be removed when removing anything adhesive but going slowly, maybe with some heat, can mitigate that risk.

Geoff
Luminary
Luminary
Geoff
Luminary
Luminary
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That might work, too.  You just have to pick your poisin and try it.  There has to be enough strength for both the adhesive as well as the painted surface to allow it to work - pick your location carefully.  Also, remember the cure time needed for something like this.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have used the 3M double stick molding tape ( from auto store ) to put up some half ball mounts outside.

It has been good for 6 minths now.

Nice thing is later to remove, that some thin wire or dental floss ( doubled ) and 'saw' thru the foam between the glue tape sides.

Some goo-be-gone removed the sticky part

You just have to see what works and is allowed for you

PS.. like the command strip idea !

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
DaHen
Guide
Guide

I'v been using the Scotch Permanent Mounting Tape here for about five or six months. Haven't applied it to the vinyl siding, but rather onto the flat viny flashing that is place around the windows. So far, the tape has held up.

The true test will be during the cold winter weather that has now arrived up here in the Northeast.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Cold should be fine. Normally it's the heat of summer that causes problems with adhesives. Let us know how it goes

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

I've just seen new suction mounts available on Amazon. Don't know how well they work, but any smooth surface like a windows might do the trick for you.

yamoinca
Aspirant
Aspirant
I googled same thing and it brought me here.

I was also thinking suction cup on windows as a possibility.

Thanks for the idea of adhesive on the vinyl siding.

What I was thinking was a mount attached to a small clamp and clamping on frame around window..

Still interested in knowing other ways people have thought up.
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

yamoinca wrote:
I googled same thing and it brought me here.

I was also thinking suction cup on windows as a possibility.

Thanks for the idea of adhesive on the vinyl siding.

What I was thinking was a mount attached to a small clamp and clamping on frame around window..

Still interested in knowing other ways people have thought up.

There is a suction cup mount available on Amazon.

yamoinca
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also found a clamp style for sale on Amazon but only from one dealer and not prime!-( doesn't seem that robust but ordered it to try out.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

I have used the 3M double stick molding tape ( from auto store ) to put up some half ball mounts outside.

It has been good for 6 minths now.

Nice thing is later to remove, that some thin wire or dental floss ( doubled ) and 'saw' thru the foam between the glue tape sides.

Some goo-be-gone removed the sticky part

You just have to see what works and is allowed for you

PS.. like the command strip idea !

^^^^^  This   ^^^^^^

Make sure you clean the area first before you attach the tape.