Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Having problems getting good signal strength. Any way to drill magnet round base? Camera is offline?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kitarlo
Follower
Follower

1) We have 3 cameras set up, one camera is 45 feet from the base station through a brick exterior wall, why are we having such a problem keeping a good signal?

2) The magnet round base, is there a way to take this base apart so that we can drill with a holding screw into a wall? As it is I am unable to secure it close enough to the wall to mount it securely in place. (Exterior wood pillar)

3) Just yesterday, one of my cameras in the app showed half a battery life left. Today the camera showed offline, I found the batteries needed replacing. Why in warm weather is there such a status change day to day?

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) You rather answered your own question - 45 feet and a brick wall. Distance and obstructions all reduce the signal between the base and camera. You can move the base so it's closer to the camera while not destroying the connection to the other cameras or use a second base solely for that camera which is optimally positioned for better connection.

2) Not really although you could get creative. I'd suggest a threaded exterior mount instead which would make the job easier and more solid. Any mount with a 1/4"-20 thread would work fine.

3) Could be signal strength/quality or poor battery connection. Is this the same camera that is mentioned in #1? Spec battery life is for <5 minutes per day of recording and live viewing total - are you within that? Be aware that the batteries are used as two sets of 2 - front and rear. When inserting batteries, just place them in the slots and let the door do the pushing. If one set isn't making contact, you'll see 50% even if the batteries are fresh. Use a voltmeter to determine charge - 3.2-ish volts for fresh, ~2.75v for dead.