Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Have been getting numerous "Camera is offline" issues this month

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

I have 5 Arlo cameras, and have not had many issues until recently.

First my batterys drained within 4 days of changing on several cameras.  I changed them all to fresh brand name batteries.

Now, for the past 3 days, All my cameras are showing "Camera is offline" every morning when I wake up.

I reset my system, and it works again.... until the next time this happens.

Why suddenly these issues? Anyone else having these problems?

My wife is ready to ditch the cameras and get something else due to the lack of reliability.

I am not aware of any power outages or internet outages this week.

33 REPLIES 33
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

plasmo,

It sounds like the cameras are struggling to maintain a connection with the base station due to poor signal strength (range) or interference.

Has anything changed on your network? Have you added any wireless devices that could be causing interference?

Because this is happening with all cameras, consider relocating your base station to see if the location of the base station is causing an issue.

JamesC

vint83
Guide
Guide

I have exactly the same problem!!!

See my last comments at

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Cameras-keep-going-offline/td-p/8559/page/5

I narrowed it down to mode change. After mode changes, hub drops all cameras.

@plasmo

Do you have any auto mode changes at night or in the morning (Arm on schedule or something, or may be some 3rd party integration?)

@JamesC,

As you can see I am not alone. And symptoms are very very similar! No change in setup, cameras started to go offline just recently.

(I don't think your recommendation to move the base to some other location in the house makes sense)

I bet its something on Arlo side. may be even fallback from FW 1.7.5_6178 update.

Could you please help escalate? 

grbowers20
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC,
As you can see I am not alone. And symptoms are very very similar! No change in setup, cameras started to go offline just recently.
(I don't think your recommendation to move the base to some other location in the house makes sense)
I bet its something on Arlo side. may be even fallback from FW 1.7.5_6178 update.
Could you please help escalate?

I am having the exact same issues, started happening just after the most recent update. I would love for these to just WORK like they are supposed to instead of feeling like a guinea pig or lab rat with them testing them while we shell out money to buy their horrible beta product.

grbowers20
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the exact same issues! So frustrating that we are the lab rats for this system. Mine worked fine until the latest update. 

vint83
Guide
Guide

@grbowers20

just for my statistics, have you noticed any connection between Camera Mode change and this issue?

grbowers20
Tutor
Tutor

vint83 wrote:

@grbowers20

just for my statistics, have you noticed any connection between Camera Mode change and this issue?

No connection, I restart from app and its comes back "Camera is offline".....I unplug base station to restart and comes back "Camera is offline" 

plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC -

No nothing has changed with any of my cameras, or location of my base station.  

This is the original location that I have had everything since I first set up.

It has been working very well, up until recently.  

In fact, I have had my 4th instance of "Your Alro device appears offline. Please make sure it's powered on and connected to the Interent." green error message on my App in the past WEEK!

Nothing has changed in my Network.  

I have not added any other wireless devices.

I'm pretty sure it is not the location of my base, as it is in a centralized position with all the cameras, and I rather not move it.

I have checked the Wifi signal at all camera locations, and it is strong.

The only (temporary) solution is to click on "Restart" under Device Settings, and it works again... until the next time this happens.

By the way, I did change all 5 cameras with Brand new Energizer Lithium batteries, as well as completly reset the base station to original factory settings and re-sync'ed all the cameras to see if this was the issue, but apparently not.

I am using Firmware: 1.7.5_6178

Hardware: VMB3010r2

@vint83 - No I do not use any mode changes.  Only "All Armed" setting.

I also am suspicious that it may be a recent firmware change issue as well.  

I hope this issue gets escalated, as it appears that it is not an isolated issue.

IMG_0975.JPG

plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

Update:

This problem happened again today (twice today) and I was able to reproduce the Error.

The steps I did:

I disarmed my system by going to Mode, Armed, and changed to Disarmed.

After a few minutes,  I wanted to Arm the system again.  At this point, all the cameras show a green "Camera is offline" message <-- this never used to happen.

I try to Arm the system, and change this in the Mode settings back to Armed.

Nothing happens.

I need to Restart the system by going to Settings to Reboot.

Cameras are back online. 

Maybe someone else can confirm on their system if this also occurs.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I occasionally get the offline message and just log out and back in to fix it.  Have you tried that?  If it works, it's faster/easier than all the steps you list.

plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

Do you mean log out/in of the Arlo iOS app?

Yes, I have tried that but the cameras stay offline when I log back in.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup, that's what I meant.  Seems like your issue is different and deeper-rooted than mine.  It could be a bad base - have you created a trouble ticket?  That may get some help or even an RMA.

vint83
Guide
Guide

Quick update.

I rebooted all my cameras (actually pulled the batteries) and I am not seeing this issue for the past two days. Thats a good sign.

I am monitoring now if issue comes back. But so far so good.

@plasmo

try rebooting all you cameras. Hopefully that helps.

plasmo
Luminary
Luminary

@vint83 - I did try rebooting everything including base, and also changed all my cameras to fresh new batteries.

Still got a Offline Error on all my cameras today again. 😞

@jguerdat - Can you post the actual link to create a trouble ticket?  I cannot find it on this site!  thanks.

Unfortunately, I am leaving for vacation tomorrow, and won't be able to fix this until I get back.

thannah
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same problem with a 3 camera set up. Only recorded 4 out of the last 9 days and have not been able to view live camera feed online last 9 days? Same warning as others above "Offline" "check power and Internet connection"?
vint83
Guide
Guide
Spoke too soon. Hit this stupid bug again tonight when my system switched from Disarmed to Armed. Sigh...

Now I have two annoying bugs that I really hate about the system:
1. Cameras going offline on mode change.
2. Motion false triggers when I lunch Arlo app or login on web site. (Reported this bug long time ago and it's still not fixed)

And Arlo team doesn't care much.

Now I had to write a script that reboots arlo hub periodically.
Good job arlo....
Few more bugs like that and I'll sell you on CraigsList.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

plasmo wrote:

@jguerdat - Can you post the actual link to create a trouble ticket?  I cannot find it on this site!  thanks.

Support link at the top here, then Contact Support on the right.  Lots of options to contact and create a ticket.  A phone call may be fastest if the queue isn't big.

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice

I posted the same issue. Ever since latest firmware...I have to click restart at least once a day.  Cameras keep going offline.  Keep me posted on any progress.

Adewale
Luminary
Luminary
I don't know if this is different from the challenge I'm having with my unit. No changes to my setup but for the last few days the arlo app has been reporting my base station and cameras as being offline

The cameras are recording motion detection videos however and I can view the videos from the library
gljohn0
Tutor
Tutor

I am right there with you all and it all started on my latest Arlo app update (last night).  The online functionality is perfect, but my app says that the cameras are offline.  I've only had the system for less than a month and it worked perfectly until last night's update.  Now, I have to restart the base station (sometime a few times) to get funcitonality back.  My cameras all have over 90% battery and no less than 75% wifi strength.

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I updated to latest android app 2.1.1 released today, as well as changed my router to 20mhz on 2.4 instead of 20/40. Restarted the base by unplugging from power. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I have been running for over 6 hours without losing a camera connection.
gljohn0
Tutor
Tutor

My situation keeps getting better & better.  Here's the summary:  Arlo online (laptop) AND my IOS devices work perfectly fine.  It's only the Android App that keeps saying "Your Device is Offline" when it isn't.  Motion, recorded video, and notifications all work perfectly fine IF it's from the online or IOS (iPad or iPhone).  

Android app updated last night, so I'm pretty sure that I've isolated it down to the Android app alone.  All four cameras show offline on Android and the battery & internet strengths are high.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gljohn0,

I have reviewed your case that you have open with support regarding this issue. It has been escalated for further investigation.

JamesC

Bartenderob
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine are doing the exact same thing. Happend 5 times today plus i have no color picture
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bartenderob,

No color (black and white) via recording or live stream indicates that the camera is in night vision mode due to lack of ambient light. When the camera is in a well lit environment, night vision mode will disengage and the image will return to color.

Please let me know if this does not occur when your camera is in a well lit environment.

JamesC