Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Has anybody tried to just replace the IR sensor to fix the pink camera issue?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the common pink image on 2 of my cams.  I have one camera all apart. I can buy a IR sensor for about $4.  Has anybody tried to just replace the IR sensor to fix the pink camera issue?  I am also thinking about disabling the IR shutter in front of the lens.

11 REPLIES 11
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @kodpkd,

We advise you not to modify your product in any way as it may void your warranty for your camera. You can read about our Warranty Information here: Arlo Warranty Information.

Reboot the camera by opening and closing the battery compartment door. Allow the camera to sync back up to the base station and try again. If you still experience the same behavior, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

You will not warranty my camera.  I have had it for more than a year.   I have nothing to loose if I damage a already defective camera.  If ARLO would do a recall on the defective cameras, this would solve the problem.

josephurbanjr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo should offer a recall on the cameras that have a pink photo picture
This my second camera that is bad and reading the reviews many more people have the same problem. (Seams to be an IR sensor that is defective).
kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

There are 2 sensors.  One is the motion sensor.  It is a small round metal part with a square little window in it.  The other sensor is a photo diode.  this is what senses when it's dark or light out.  When it's dark, it activates a pink filter that slides in front of the camers lens.  I'm thinking the problem is with the diode, or the electro mechanical slide filter. What happens in the day is the filter stays in front of the lens.  I am going to replace the photo diode  next week to see if this fixes the problem.  If it does it will be an easy fix.  Photo diodes are very cheap, $3.

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well,  I replaced the photodiode.  My image is still pink.  Maybe I will try disabling the pink filter.

happydays-ni
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did you try the often repeated solution of turning the camera upside down and then flipping the image 180 degrees in the software? Worked for me.

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

ON,,, OFF,,,  Batteries out, then back in,,,, Bla Bla Bla!    Yes I have tried all the temp fixes.  The camera has a design flaw.  They will all, sooner or later fail to pink.  I wish the company would admit what they replace to fix it.  It is just a challenge now for me to see if I can figure out what needs to be replaced.  Maybe it's the sliding IR window.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Guaranteed that's it. Arlo has stated so.
kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know the pink sliding window is what makes the image pink.  Is it the window that has failed,,,, or is it what's driving the window to open and close that has failed?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm guessing it's solenoid-driven. If so, it's either the solenoid or the filter itself sticking, maybe on a close-by component.

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

I fixed my PINK cam.  First you have to take it all apart. Use the FIXIT info to get it apart.  In step 9 you remove the camers, lens, and little red window that slides up and down. Cut the small line of glue that holds the slide window in place. 1 screw holds it, on the other end.  It has a red and a black wire powering it. Unplug the wire. Next you will need a strong magnet. Hold the magnet at the bottom where the electrical solenoid is.  You will see the window change from clear to red. You want the red filter to slide into the square. While the window is red, put a small drop of super glue in the corner to glue the window in place.  I used a very sharp tooth pick. Wait for it to dry.  Leave the filter window unpluged. Put it back together. The day light image will not be pink any more. The night vision wont be very good. Ta da!

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Netgear+Arlo+2+Camera+HD+Security+System+Infrared+LED+and+Motion+Sensor...