Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
FraBi
Follower
Follower

When I use my Arlo camera in the dark I see a grey spot flying across the display like a "butterfly". Any one having the same experience or should I start considering to book gosthbusters services??? 

18 REPLIES 18
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No not ghosts....  just DUST floating around and being illuminate by the IR  🙂

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Jody
Luminary
Luminary

It is amazing how much dirt and dust floats around in the air. No wonder we have allergy issues!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In my case, it's snow...  😕

MBMB
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is what I see at certain times ... Anyone know what this is? How I can fix it?

Was hoping to send a photo??? So frustrating! Looks like light around a darker large shadow "cross" image?
jrw46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I see white, however more grey... objects too, I tihnk they are moths

jrw46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would like you guys to watch one of my ARLO videos, I placed it in Youtube with a private listing...  By the way they move, the spots don't look like dust.  .   There are blurred slightly dim large ones,  to scale about three inches.  Then others about 1 inch, more dence and a thicker white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEnIUBmzX10

Here is a link to one of my videos showing the ORB.. what do you think they are...  I don't think the spot is dust, becasue it's moving to fast.  There is no fan in the room.

Please take a look and give me your thoughts

Jim

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Because you marked it Private it's not viewable.

Without seeing the video, I'll wager it's bugs, etc. in the view.  It's amazing the kinds of things floating in the air that we simply don't notice.  It might also be related to IR reflectivity as opposed to normal sunlight.

jrw46
Apprentice
Apprentice

sorry about that,  I marked the video as private, that was a mistake.  I remarked it as unlisted, you should now be able to run it.

I would like you guys to watch one of my ARLO videos, I placed it in Youtube with a private listing...  By the way they move, the spots don't look like dust.  .   There are blurred slightly dim large ones,  to scale about three inches.  Then others about 1 inch, more dence and a thicker white.

Try the link again...    https://youtu.be/BEnIUBmzX10

I marked as unlisted this time...  I had it marked private, sorry about that...  Please let me know if you can now view the video...

Thanks

Jim

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

video is viewable....

those spots are just out of focus pieces of dust floating ( close to lens ) and the IR light reflecting off of them ... very common, moving with air currets

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Agreed. They seem to be flat and rotating. You should see spiders crawling over the lens.

jrw46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I disagree, you say "...pieces of dust"   I don't see pieces of dust,  I see ONE if it is dust,  one piece... Very unlikly it would be ONE piece of dust...  I have other videos showing these spots as tiny and or moving in differenc dicrections, and I  might add, the videos show ONE spot moving, not two of three or a room full of spots as it would be if it was dust.

Oh well... What Cometh Do.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

True - one spot.  Doesn't change my/our answers. It could be coming from an air vent or just randomly falling from above.  

jrw46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'd like to show another film with so called, dust, bugs, A.K.A ORB's..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql239PY5-Bs

The orbs are easier ti see with player in full screen, or expanded screen.

When the video starts I am leaning over a lamp.
      First one:  On the left side of room, it moves up as I walk away from lamp

As I walk towards the door..
      Second one:  In the area of the right wall as I leave the room

Closing the door
   Third one: 
In the area of the middle wall after the door is closed

looking real close at the correct area, at the right time you can see others but they move at a much higher speed.

For some youtube reason, to restart the video you should
use the URL page refresh rather then the video box start Arrow..

I know it may be usless to ask... sounds silly,  But please only NON-silly seroius comments and or replys.

This is an unedited film except that I clipped  the beginng and ending to shorten the upload size.. keep youtube happy

Please let me know your thoughts

JRW46

jrw46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Would someone please post one of your videos of the films with the spots.  I'm not sure if videos can be attached to these posts but you could upload it to youtube, copy the URL youtube gives you and make it "unlisted"

Thanks
JRW46
Meerkat24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay, here you go. I saw the same thing and searched the forum. My UFO's are more dramatic

https://youtu.be/83IuvgCkNrk

These "dust particles" seem to be moving with some sort of nefarious purpose. (Especially the one near the end that comes flying in toward the camera) Man Surprised

The light at the other end of the room is another IR camera facing back this way.

Now the big question: Why does this happen? It doesn't bother me. It's just spooky!

jrw46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can relate to what your feeling. I have similar issues. Thinking it was (flying) bugs (hard to think that) I decided to spay the room with 'flying insect killer' like Raid.. To my surprise the orb's are gone. Can I say they are bugs?

However, the most shocking one I recorded was outside at night, After viewing my video, let me know what you think. Give me your best guess.  I thought it might be a bug, (strange movement) crawing on a spider web, but my question is, why does it look like its getting smaller or further away... I posted it in youtube.

I'm, not sure the best way to attach a url to the youtube video, so I gave it a few tries.  Try them all. One should work,  they all should work. 

Try this one  Click here

or this one   Click here 

or this one   Click here

or this one   Click Here

Let me know.

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You guys are having WAY too much fun.  The first video looks like something being blown into the room.  They certainly could be bugs, the spraying settled dust, or the blowing stopped.  The dancer in the second one is great! Use a disco ball next time!  🙂

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

love the spider on the web... neat!