Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing Help

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
tommodaniels
Initiate
Initiate

Hi, 

Does geofencing actually work with 2 phones?  I see both my wife and myself down as 'in zone', which is correct, but when I leave the house the system will arm itself.  Why does that happen?  Just to be clear, both devices appear in each others geo-fencing section and location services seems to fully working.  Is this a known bug?  Any ideas when Netgear plan to fix?

Regards

Tom

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tommodaniels,

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius. 

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

When using multiple devices, the secondary devices should be logged into the app via shared account through the "Grant Access" feature so that both devices are logged in using the mobile app. Take a look at this article for more information: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save.

JamesC

Cthz
Aspirant
Aspirant
James this is a copy and paste response to anything related to geo fencing. I'm having the same issue as Tom. Both devices show in area. This indicates the app and devices are set correctly.
First in, last out is failing in this example. What else could be the issue? Thanks.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many users have had success resolving this issue by checking their mobile devices battery saving settings. Some devices have battery optimization settings that close or put apps to sleep after they have been idle for a period of time. Check your mobile devices settings and be sure that an exception is made for Arlo if you are running battery saving settings.

JamesC

chrisrbk
Tutor
Tutor

James i think you misinterpret the point being made.

I also have issues...

My with has registered and has the app installed on the iphone. I have granted her access rights and all is good.

When i leave the house on a morning i get to the end of the street and i get a notification that the cameras are armed, but if i look at the geofence status, the app knows my wife is at home, so why is it arming??

There are many posts about this but no resolution.

Also i have not seen Netgear admit anywhere that there is an issue, but clearly there is.

tommodaniels
Initiate
Initiate

Agree chrisbk, there is a clear issue and all these suggested settings checks etc are not doing anything..... Why can't someone who actually makes the software advise... I basically can't rely on geo-fencing now for 2 or more users

chrisrbk
Tutor
Tutor
Simple workaround, sign everyone in under your credentials. Now working fine.
Cthz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Who said that is the work around? When I have my wife sign in under my credentials, it logs me off. I'd like to know how you were able to make it work. Thanks.
chrisrbk
Tutor
Tutor

Gents,

You are correct...

If i logged into the app on my phone it logged me out of the app on my wifes phone.

Not a big deal as we never view the camera app together.

Anyway, since I posted this, I asked my wife to log back in with her details and all has worked as intended since.